What happened to HF 22-24 and 30 ton model log splitters?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think you really need to watch what you buy from there, I personally wouldn't buy a big splitter like that from them, if I had to take a guess, I'd say they probably had quality issues......

Reactions: TreePointer
Based on what I've read, there was an issue with the seals in the ram. Pressure could cause it to shoot out possibly. HF dropped that supplier and now has a new model.
I have the new 20 ton predator from HF and love it.
Some states may not allow the splitter due to emissions.

Reactions: 94BULLITT
Based on what I've read, there was an issue with the seals in the ram. Pressure could cause it to shoot out possibly. HF dropped that supplier and now has a new model.
I have the new 20 ton predator from HF and love it.
Some states may not allow the splitter due to emissions.

That is good to hear. I have one getting delivered this week.

Update,,got it last night and put all together..but have not had the time to fire it up.

Took me about 2 beers to put it together.

There is a mistake in the manual. Is says use bolt (2) which is a M12x75 and they give you 2 of them. They then call out the same bolt (2) but there are not any more to use, there is another set an M12x80 which is obviously a tad longer. Use the M12x80 for mounting the toungue to the tank/axle assembly and the shorter 75 for the hitch assembly.

If you use the shorter 75 for the axle assembly, the nut will not thread far enough onto the bolt to reach the nylon locking feature.

I had that confusion also. Hardest part was getting the ram assembly onto the trailer so I could put the mount pins in place. Took three tries, really should have help for that step.

Used it for 3 hrs last night. Overall, I'm very happy with it.
Couple of things I noticed...
-The hydraulic oil fill cap is also a vent cap to allow for venting as the oil expands and contracts. I found this out when I parked at a slight angle and oil pumped out all over my foot. Not a big deal. I might have overfilled as well and I was at an angle. The specified 2.25 gallons was a bit too much when warm. I may have outsmarted their recommendation because I cycled the engine (without starting) to draw the air out of the hyd lines and then added more oil to the fill line. Doesn't look like you need to do this. I did it so the pump would not start up dry.
-Being able to split from both sides of the ram, is great. I love that feature.
-Engine started up just great and ran very smoothly. Could not have asked for better. I am very picky about engines...and this was great. It isn't that loud either.
-If you get a wicked rattle..it is the tongue support leg. Tighten up the main bolt some more.
-The engine barely takes any oil. I used Rotella 10W30 since it was on sale. I'll change the oil before its next use. I'm a big believer in very short oil change periods when you are breaking in a new engine that does not have a filter system. Gets all the manufacturing debris out quickly.
-It towed with great ease behind my Grizzly ATV. (It would look sweet with a set of knobby atv tires :) ) No issues at all. The tongue height was also great. I left it on the ATV hitch while using it.
-I split some gnarly apple. It hesitated, but I was running at half throttle.
-The build quality is pretty good. The welds all look fine. Paint and hardware seem ok. Tires rims seem ok.

There is a good thread on these on AS, I bought mine based on what I read there.
The HF store workers told me they can't keep the splitters in stock. I was lucky to show up when they had one in stock.

I was on a backorder wait list for almost a year before I gave up. Went with a huskee 22 and haven't regretted it.

The later stages of the old hf splitters suffered from MFG flaws, typical chi-com substitution to say a few cents. as was noted cylinder problems but also valve and pump issues, won't even get into the weld quality which in most cases was more dangerous than the cylinder problem. The lack of weld penetration in critical part areas led to some spectacular failures. The main one being the rear ram mount.

Status
Not open for further replies.