What happens if you don't read hearth.com

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hilly

Feeling the Heat
May 28, 2006
Vancouver Island, Canada
I found this on a different forum and thought it might be good for those of you that thought class A chimney pipe is expensive!

This afternoon, I got the chimney for my wood stove hooked up in my garage. I started a fire in it and the garage was warmed up to about 60 degrees(it was 30 outside). While I was working on my Jeep, I noticed smoke started to lower in the garage. Sure enough, the chimney pipe had started the roof of my garage on fire and was burning its was down the wall! I ran to grab the hose, but my heart skipped a beat as I found out it was frozen! In a panic, I remembered I had a fire extinguisher in the shed, so I grabbed that, climbed a ladder, and tried putting out the fire. It kept burning, so I called 911. I ran inside and started filling one gallon pails of water. I was able to nearly get the fire out by the time the fire department got there. The damage is minimal, but several things got wet. I also have a heaping pile of insulation and wood to clean up tomorrow. I lucked out tonight since there was no wind and the fire started at the peak of the roof.
If you install a chimney, be sure to use double walled pipe, not single walled!

Do you figure he bothered with flashing on the roof?

Actually, this is something I'm always wondering about.

I think in Canada when we talk about double walled pipe, it's clear that we're talking about stovepipe. But I get the impression that it can refer to two things in the U.S., I'm guessing that includes stainless insulated pipe - i.e. Metalsbestos. Maybe this is because there seems to also be "triple walled pipe"? Which if I remember correctly, is chimney pipe, but doesn't have insulation?

Triple wall is kind of a slang term for Class A pipe
because in the OLD days Chimney pipe was 3 walls of pipe.

But if you think about it Insulated pipe like ICC Metolbestos Ect is 3 walls
Inside SS Midle insulation and outerwall

HT, like the moving logo....but these days you do need to use Area Code......

As to the safety thing - this somewhat proves a point I have been thinking about. We often split hairs here as far as codes, manuals, best practices, etc.....and Elk is constantly yelling at me (or thinking about doing so) because I offer advice which might be contrary to "the best possible thing". But I like to think of it as "harm reduction" - a term you often hear regarding drug users, alcoholics, etc. - In other words, if someone is going to use Heroin and needles (highly discouraged, BTW), Harm Reduction says they should have clean needles and not be thrown in jail regularly so they can possibly work at a job, etc. - Same with drinking and driving. Harm reduction does not make a judgment on how sloshed someone can get, just maybe make certain they don't drive. And perhaps warm them about the liver.

I feel somewhat the same about our subject matter here. If someone in Maine is gonna shove a stove pipe out their window, I'm not going to show them how. But if they are going to install a stove into a 20 year old (non-HT) chimney, I probably will give some advice other than "don't do it"....while at the same time informing them of the situation.

I would not give advice on how to install a stove into an attached garage - that is a pretty clear situation. But if the garage was 100% converted into another use (door removed), then I would.

At the same time, I would also sometimes council stricter than the code. Maybe someone wants to put a stove into the attached work shop (woodworking).....I don't like the basic idea of that.

Anyway, just some rambling on the idea that we cannot achieve perfection, but that any move in the right direction helps.

And perhaps warm them about the liver.
I'll have to try this technique out on some of my drinking buddies. Do you use open hand strikes to the abdominal area or just move them closer to the stove? :p Hilly, glad it wasn't worse. They say most of us aren't smart enough to learn from other people's mistakes. Hopefully you just reached someone who is smart enough!

If someone in Maine is gonna shove a stove pipe out their window

I know that no one from Mass. would be dumb enough to do this.

BJN644 said:
If someone in Maine is gonna shove a stove pipe out their window

I know that no one from Mass. would be dumb enough to do this.

Are you kidding? Elk drives around the state once every three weeks and checks! We would not even try.

I did consider which state I was gonna use as an example, but couldn't really decide - was gonna use Arkansas or WV. Can't win....

A stove in a garage is just plain stupid, He even said he was working on his jeep. What if he was replacing a fuel pump or a fuel line? or using a solvent based parts cleaner. Just asking for a disaster

I found the most intresting thing is that the hose was frozen- would have thought that he might want to bring that thing in for the winter. :p
I know I am a little 'over the top' when it comes to safety for myself and my family, but this comes from...

A. Living in the country. 10 miles from 'town' and the small hospital. If you get hurt here- keep it 'minor' cuz it's going to be awhile for the rescue squad to get here and back to 'town' (like 30+ minutes). Better yet- plan on driving yourself in. Yes, our town does have a volenteer FD, but you had better schedule your injury or fire cuz it is not regulary staffed and at times there may or not be anyone to help.
B. Seeing, and reading about enough people who , when an emergency happens, do not have first aid or fire extinguisher supplies avalable.
C. Tearing myself up enough times. (But no broken bones or stiches required)

I am no stranger to "cuts,scrapes,burns and bruses", it comes with doing stuff. The trick is to 'think things through-twice', work slowly and carefully (which i don't do often enough) and be somewhat prepared for that time when something goes very wrong.

For us, that means-
4 Fire extinguishers (plus one in the car)
A very well stocked First aid kit, Up to date CPR and Basic first aid training (required for my job anyway).
A 100' hose connected in the basement with a hole leading outside.

This may or may not help us when things go bad... but at the very least I feel better knowing that I can at least try.
And that First Aid kit always gets used when I get to 'bulling and jamming'.

Status
Not open for further replies.