What happens to your woods ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The scotch pines were getting a rust gall and the white pines were getting white mold. An old friend of ours cut and chipped the trees. We left some trees that were still good for wind breaks.

Pine balls.JPG

The scotch pines were getting a rust gall and the white pines were getting white mold. An old friend of ours cut and chipped the trees. We left some trees that were still good for wind breaks.

View attachment 78639

My hickory started getting rust gall a few years back. Asked a forester about it because i was worrried and was told not to worry, it wouldn't hurt the trees, not to cut them. I thought I should to stop the spread....well it has spread. And some of the branches are so heavy that they are prone to breakage in high wind. I try to pick up the wood with galls and burn it. I guess I was stupid and should have researched it myself...

We had watched several scotch pines die over the last several years and finally figured we may as well get rid of them because it was just spreading. Our white pines were just planted too darned close together and needed some room.

We have not decided for certain what we will do with the space. Probably some fruit trees and maybe even see if locust will grow in this sand. Quite a bit of new stuff coming already including some oaks and we like that for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.