what happens when I go to bed

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sparksalot

Aug 21, 2006
Montana
I have read about long burn times etc...but I guess I am a little paranoid about loading up the fire box and turning the damper down..If it overfires i won't know and i don't want it to underburn...creating cresote and pollution...I have loaded up the stove only to be distracted by my kids or one of my honey do list projects and then the temp starts creeping to 700 then 750....oh no!! I shut the damper down but i still feel like one of those submarine suspence movies where i keep going deeper and deeper to avoid the depth charges....one time i put my gloves on took a log out and ran outside in my underwear and threw it in the snow...yeah i have neighbors but they already know i am crazy...how hot can i really burn without much trouble...i have a jotul castine with the double doors....thanks....

Good question Sparky, I too am a newbie and am a bit apprehensive about maintaining a burn overnight or when I'm not home. Unfortunately I can't give you a solid answer, but I am interested in how the "experts" respond to your question.

Shawn

We burn ours 24, 7. We always load it up before we leave the house. We have never had any problems. You will learn the setting of the stove and become more comfortable with its operations. As long as its properly installed and functioning properly, you will be fine.

We burn 24/7 and I know that at first I was nervous on overnight burns, but when you run the stove for several weeks and it never overfires, and heats the house, you learn it's fine. Also, stove mfg's considered this and built stoves accordingly..they are all tested you know..

Do something like this: Load your stove around an hour before you go to bed with the full load. Run it wide open till it produces a secondary burn, then shut it down.

You should have a solid bed of coals before this.

That way you'll get to see exactly what it looks like before bed. Don't be surprised if i't more flame than you think.

Also, you may have to adjust this some, but you'll get the hang of it.

Warren said:
We burn 24/7 and I know that at first I was nervous on overnight burns, but when you run the stove for several weeks and it never overfires, and heats the house, you learn it's fine. Also, stove mfg's considered this and built stoves accordingly..they are all tested you know..

Do something like this: Load your stove around an hour before you go to bed with the full load. Run it wide open till it produces a secondary burn, then shut it down.

You should have a solid bed of coals before this.

That way you'll get to see exactly what it looks like before bed. Don't be surprised if i't more flame than you think.

Also, you may have to adjust this some, but you'll get the hang of it.

Warren ...........You run your stove damper wide open untill you get secondary burn before shutting down ? I've not heard of this before. Maybe your model stove ?
I've had mine up top 600° and it was flaming to beat he(( but no secondary burn until i dampered it down.

I have a new Jotul Castine too and have had the same concerns... I am learning as I go too. I have thought about putting in an in line damper to give me more control of the stove temps. This might prevent me from having to run outside with a burning log in my underwear......

slim said:
I have a new Jotul Castine too and have had the same concerns... I am learning as I go too. I have thought about putting in an in line damper to give me more control of the stove temps. This might prevent me from having to run outside with a burning log in my underwear......
Hu..........?? Did i read that last line right ? I think your coffee is done ...........better go get-ca cup. :bug:

Better yet , go back to bed.

did you not read Sparky's original post where he says "one time i put my gloves on took a log out and ran outside in my underwear and threw it in the snow..."

A dumb newb question, what is the secondary burn? How to know when it starts?

In my past stoves, I just loaded, kept the damper opened until I thought I had a good ignition, then cut it back to where I had learned where I could set it to achieve the desired temp.

I haven't had a wood unit in several years, I'm used to watching for the blue dancing flames on the load of coal before cutting back....

EDIT: Never mind, I'm going to read the self titled thread about it down a few.

blthomas said:

In my past stoves, I just loaded, kept the damper opened until I thought I had a good ignition, then cut it back to where I had learned where I could set it to achieve the desired temp.

I haven't had a wood unit in several years, I'm used to watching for the blue dancing flames on the load of coal before cutting back....
http://invite.filmloop.com/x?TiGQ7F6rkWljtamOMeI1Ev2k1CLKdfik

blthomas said:

#1 https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/3828/

#2 https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/3379/

...yeah i have neighbors but they already know i am crazy

Ditto, Ive done just the opposite- run outside with a smoulderer. in fear of gunking up the chimney, that split wouldn't burn if you used a blowtorch! Although I think I had my sweats on!
As far as neighbor, yup thinks I'm a bit whacko, especially about splitting so much wood!

We burn 24/7..When going to bed or leaving we usually reload, leave wide open for 10-20 minutes let it get burning good then close down the air..Take a couple weekends learn the stove and in different outside conditions.

When you close down the air do you do antthing with the damper. All I've done is control the fire with the air control. Would maybe giving the stove a little more air and closing the damper prolong over night burn times?

A woodstove newbie in colorado.

Well the wood stove routine is started before I retire I fill it up allow time to get it back up to temp engage the cat
( damper it down for all non cat owners) set the inlet air to 1/4 open. Really with the cat and thermomatically controled secondary air there is not a whole lot left to do
the secondary air opens and closes to keep the current stove settings till the wood has burnt down.

What else is there to going to bed that depends upon the wife being frisky. I know someone had to say it. I can only resist so--oo long

Last time I had a burning log in my underwear, she had a headache. %-P Such is life.

Slim, the Castine is a pretty predictable stove. What you see during the day will be how it acts at night. Practice a few runs during the daytime to get the hang of it.

Here's what I would recommend. About 30 min. before you go to bed, stoke her up and let the wood char pretty thoroughly. Then damper her down to about 1/4 open (depending on the wood and it's dryness) and sleep peacefully.

Status
Not open for further replies.