What happens when you run a Breckwell(Big E in this case!) without a surge protector?- gone comando!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Don2222

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Feb 1, 2010
Salem NH
Hello

Time for a control panel upgrade!

I have seen 2 Big E stoves now without a surge protector. The control panel on/off light never stops blinking. It normally stops when the startup cycle is over and the run cycle starts. Also the convection blower does not increase in speed when the heat level is increased. The convection blower works on high fan only.

This is a result of not a very large power surge,
I did last year at this time see the same panel and a surge protector (a very inexpensive surge protector) both compeletly blown from a very high current surge in an older home in and older town just outside of Boston MA

The old control panel is black with white letters and light yellow around the on/off button and the fuel feed led.

The new control panel is black with white letters and red around the on/off button and the fuel feed led.

I do recommend a good quality surge protector or even better the Sure Fire 512 battery backup that really isolates the power line from the stove.

1. Does anyone know what the jumper does on the upper right in the back?
Default is pins 1 & 2 so what does pins 3 & 4 do?

2. What modifications and/or feature enhancements are in the new chipset?

See pics - Click to Enlarge

Attachments

• BigE-SatinBlack.JPG
    BigE-SatinBlack.JPG
    226.6 KB · Views: 185
  • BigE (2).JPG
    BigE (2).JPG
    116.7 KB · Views: 206
  • Breckwell_Old_1RPM_Control_Board1.JPG
    Breckwell_Old_1RPM_Control_Board1.JPG
    262.1 KB · Views: 189
  • Breckwell_Old_1RPM_Control_Board2.JPG
    Breckwell_Old_1RPM_Control_Board2.JPG
    226.6 KB · Views: 154
  • Breckwell_Updated_1RPM_Control_Board1.jpg
    Breckwell_Updated_1RPM_Control_Board1.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 156
  • Breckwell_Updated_1RPM_Control_Board2.jpg
    Breckwell_Updated_1RPM_Control_Board2.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 171
Th jumper on the first two pins are for manual operation (no t-stat) If you install a t-stat (on the bottom left connectors) then the jumper needs to be moved to pins 3-4.

Last edited:
Th jumper on the first two pins are for manual operation (no t-stat) If you install a t-stat (on the bottom left connectors) then the jumper needs to be moved to pins 3-4.

Are you sure? Pin 4 is broken off on the new board and the older board I have.
Maybe that is true for the much older boards?

I just check with Breckwell Dealer support
There are no enhancements or mods from the yellow to the red cover plate
The jumper is to change between the P22 stove which has 4 heat level settings and the other stoves such as the Big E that has 5 heat level settings.
The jumper on pins 1 & 2 select 5 heat level settings 1-5 and no jumper selects 4 heat level settings 1-4.

Last edited:
That is correct mine 1st info was for the Analog board. My misread. The Jump determines weither it is a 101 board or a 401 board.

Status
Not open for further replies.