What have I got here....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sledhead00

Oct 28, 2012
WNY
Ive got a few days off from work so I figured Id nit pick around on CL and stock up on wood for next yr..I just picked some of this stuff up, it was suppose to be a mix of black walnut and red maple but once I got there told me he thinks it's silver maple... It's doesn;t look like it to me but Im not very good at identifying wood so...
The first pic doesn't show it well, but inside the bark is red/pinkish..

Attachments

• leroy1.jpg
    leroy1.jpg
    175.5 KB · Views: 282
  • leroy.jpg
    leroy.jpg
    242.9 KB · Views: 287
I'm terrible at distinguishing hard/soft maple but that does look like Red to me. We're there any leaves? I always try to grab some if I'm not sure on the tree.

Reactions: Pennsyltucky Chris
I'd say that's rock oak, but..... not 100% sure

I'm terrible at distinguishing hard/soft maple but that does look like Red to me. We're there any leaves? I always try to grab some if I'm not sure on the tree.

No, no leaves it sounded like he did all the trim work off site and just brought rounds back to split...Its got some decent weight to it, but it is wet. I tested about 10 pieces and nothing was under 24 and one at 33. Very inconsistent size pieces thought...

I can get more specific pics tmw if it'll help..

Soft (Red or Silver) Maple

HI OOO SILVER away

Looks a heckuva lot like the silver maple splits I cut up into kindling 20 minutes ago.

Looks a heckuva lot like the silver maple splits I cut up into kindling 20 minutes ago.

Yea I got about half of it stacked up, mixing in a fc of ash/hickory as I got to break it up... I guess I'll have a nice supply of shoulder season for next season...

That is either Red or Silver Maple. I'd say probably Red.

Yea I got about half of it stacked up, mixing in a fc of ash/hickory as I got to break it up... I guess I'll have a nice supply of shoulder season for next season...
This I don't understand, I heat with maple about 90% of the time and that is what is in my stove now . I only use oak, ash, hedge and all the rest of the hard woods at night and or below 10. Once it is dry you will like it too, burns hot. I keep a ample supply of maple as no one wants it in my area. Why I don't know but I will take every chunk I can grab.

My silver maples was very white, the bark is similar to mine, but your is more reddish, got any more pics of splits?

bark sure looks like silver maple

I burn a farmers mix and I don't designate when any of it gets burned. It's all mixed and all goes in the stove together unless I'm in a cold snap then I'll grab from my stash of Black Locust. Normally I have Ash, Elm, Maple (soft & hard), Locust, Cherry, & Black Walnut.

Silver maple

This I don't understand, I heat with maple about 90% of the time and that is what is in my stove now . I only use oak, ash, hedge and all the rest of the hard woods at night and or below 10. Once it is dry you will like it too, burns hot. I keep a ample supply of maple as no one wants it in my area. Why I don't know but I will take every chunk I can grab.

I guess Im a bit annoyed because once we started loading I noticed the splits were getting smaller and smaller deeper into the pile.So it's already a bit lower btu wood and smaller splits this is just going to make reloads all that more frequent, IMO. Most of this stuff I will double the number of splits I can put in compared to usual.. I'm wanting to make up stacks of good sized over night/day long burner and then separate bumming around house babysity insert stacks. The latter I didn't really need a lot of at this time... O well live and learn on to the next one...

My silver maples was very white, the bark is similar to mine, but your is more reddish, got any more pics of splits?

Attachments

• outside bark.jpg
    outside bark.jpg
    192.5 KB · Views: 101
  • red bark.jpg
    red bark.jpg
    193.8 KB · Views: 96
Yep, silver maple like mine....image.jpgimage.jpg

Bark looks just like my soft Maple. (Sure wish mine was cut and split like yours).

Attachments

• 20141031_163033_resized.jpg
    20141031_163033_resized.jpg
    247.1 KB · Views: 82
Bark looks just like my soft Maple. (Sure wish mine was cut and split like yours).
Thanks, i got that nice rack full for only 4 hours of labor to split everything, have fun, drink beers, my buddy got that wood delivered to my house for free in rounds, he took about 2 of those racks worth, hopefully we will get another score like that soon, I got to pick out the biggest best splits, supplied the splitter and gas. I'm way ahead with my wood, he needs more, it's nice when you can work as a team like that, that's why you got to be on the 3 year plan or better.....

New picimage.jpgNice and white, it is pretty wood....

Status
Not open for further replies.