What have you been paying for pellets?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
mac, they burn fine. I run a Castile full time, after 2-3 days I have about a half inch of ash and a dirty window. Firebox is nice and white, no clinker. I'll try and post some picts this weekend.

I was OSH 269.99 a ton or 5.99 a bag. Northern California

woodsman23 said:
investor7952 said:
chrisasst said:
Burn1 said:
Yesterday I got 2 bags of Rocky Mountain from HD for $5.97/bag. First time I've seen a clear bag of pellets, and with a handle!

I just bought 3 bags of rocky mountain today from my TSC to test them out.. ( of course they probably won't have any left in about an hour or next season but) I

paid $5.99 a bag...

After you burn them you will be glad they were sold out ! BECAUSE THEY ARE HORRIBLE

Do you have something against these pellets you posted 2 xs in a row as to your dislike of them. Why don't you explain "why" you do not care for then instead of "HORRIBLE".

I thought they were great, "NO" fines in the bag, cool handle for carring, burned great lots of heat, clean glass, low ash, stove easy to clean. What's not to like???

So what is the deal with these? I just saw them at my local HD and was going to try some but remembered a discussion on them. I see Two good VS one bad with no reason. I grabbed a few blazers yeaterday and they seem to burn great with little ash and a nice smell. I will go a bit out of the way to get these if needed, THe Rocky M are only a few miles away. Clear bag is the best packaging I have seen so far. Not sure if I would trust the handle.

Started the season at 259.00 a ton

about late november paid 279. per ton

Bought some bags at HD for 6.0 per bag and bought some ACPs at 6.0 per bag.

I am done until spring.

Mark

South of Boston said:
woodsman23 said:
investor7952 said:
chrisasst said:
Burn1 said:
Yesterday I got 2 bags of Rocky Mountain from HD for $5.97/bag. First time I've seen a clear bag of pellets, and with a handle!

I just bought 3 bags of rocky mountain today from my TSC to test them out.. ( of course they probably won't have any left in about an hour or next season but) I

paid $5.99 a bag...

After you burn them you will be glad they were sold out ! BECAUSE THEY ARE HORRIBLE

Do you have something against these pellets you posted 2 xs in a row as to your dislike of them. Why don't you explain "why" you do not care for then instead of "HORRIBLE".

I thought they were great, "NO" fines in the bag, cool handle for carring, burned great lots of heat, clean glass, low ash, stove easy to clean. What's not to like???

So what is the deal with these? I just saw them at my local HD and was going to try some but remembered a discussion on them. I see Two good VS one bad with no reason. I grabbed a few blazers yeaterday and they seem to burn great with little ash and a nice smell. I will go a bit out of the way to get these if needed, THe Rocky M are only a few miles away. Clear bag is the best packaging I have seen so far. Not sure if I would trust the handle.

I can only give you my honest opinion on these pellets,
1: they burn very well plenty of heat
2: less ash,
3: the bag is heavy duty (no holes) and the handle will not break (trust me).
4: They smell great, like new lumber.
5: Glass is still clean after cleaning glass and stove on sat 1/31 just a hint of white on the glass, today 2/5.
6: no fines in the bag NONE, I have burned maybe 1100 lbs of these and have not seen any fines in the bag.
7: All pellets are uniform in size pellets none to small none to big.
8: Get some and try them, i was apprehensive at first but now i am pleased.

woodsman23 said:
investor7952 said:
chrisasst said:
Burn1 said:

paid $5.99 a bag...

Your stove must be that much better than mine becuase I burned 6 bags and had tons of ash and heat exchangers filled with ash..No fines but lots of ash

investor7952 said:
woodsman23 said:
investor7952 said:
chrisasst said:
Burn1 said:

paid $5.99 a bag...

Your stove must be that much better than mine becuase I burned 6 bags and had tons of ash and heat exchangers filled with ash..No fines but lots of ash

I am just giving MHO on these pellets. I have burned dry creek, lignetics, and many more types and have found thses to be as good as lignetics hardwood pellets and better than dry creek, The dry creek plant is 15 miles from my house and i still get fines in the bag and more ash. I am sorry they did not work for you.

I just picked up four tons of fireside ultras and I love them. These are the best pellets I have ever burned. Oh and I got them for $200 a ton here in Maine from someone who never received their Harman stove. That brought my total up to six tons sitting in my shed and basement. So being the nice guy that I am, I sold two tons to my buddy for $200 per ton since he was almost out.

GotzTheHotz said:
$185/ton, local farmer set up a mill less than 5 minutes from where I work. He's got a vending machine, no sh*t! Hit the cash machine, go to the farm, feed a few $20's in, bulk pellets or corn ($150/ton), auger them into the bulk sack in back of the Yukon. I've been meaning to take some photos every time I go, next time I'll bring the camera because you will not believe it without picts. Way too cool set up, apologies to you guys in the nor-east for posting this!

Would you please share the source location!

or PM me please

I've been using Uncle Jed's pine pellets @$234.00 per 60 bag pallet. Two weeks ago I bought 60 bags of Eureka fir @ $294.00.

Spring early buy is coming up in three weeks... the UJ's should be well under $200.00...

In my area pellets have gone crazy. I'm now seeing prices of $6 per bag at the local menards store. These are the same pellets I paid $3.31 per bag for earlier. I have enough to last me the year, but if prices stay high, I'll be selling my stove. Other places near me are cheaper in price, but I'm sure they will start jacking the price along with the rest of em.

Pellets at Lowes, HD and Walmart are 5.9X per bag or 300 per ton. Local pellet distributor is 290.00 per ton, you pick up. Oil is 2.09 per gallon. Still sitting on 4 tons of Athens pellets that won't feed in my stove. (Sorry, couldn't resist throwing that in.)

I did give 2 bags to a guy and work and his Harmon with horizontal auger (?) burned them fine. He might buy a ton from me. If anyone is near Milton, NH and wants to try them, send me a PM. If they work in your stove and 250 a ton works for you, I will help load them in your truck.

Forgot to mention the Aubuchon Hardware is 7.49 per bag and Warren's Hardware in Barrington, NH is 8.46 per bag - WOW and the lady didn't believe me when I said pellets are under 6 dollars at three local stores.

I think I need to do a better job of shopping around. I knew I got screwed this year by waiting too long to buy, but even your current prices are lower than where I'm looking. Guess I need to check out many more new places.

Last I looked a couple weeks ago they had Penningtons Natures Heat in our local Sams Club for 230 / ton. Not a great deal and mine burn with a lot of ash but still not nearly as expensive as some of you describe. It just show the golden rule. BUY EM IN THE SPRING / SUMMER.

Prices between 269 for new Maine to 299 for NEWP (local company has Energex on sale @ 275). Not as bad as summer/fall prices, but hoping for a spring sale soon! Haven't tried Blazers, heard good stuff but can't find them around here.

Last year, paid around $250/ton and this year $300/ton. Will be looking for two tons in the next few weeks for next year and expect to pay somewhere between the two prices.

Truck1 said:
Prices between 269 for new Maine to 299 for NEWP (local company has Energex on sale @ 275). Not as bad as summer/fall prices, but hoping for a spring sale soon! Haven't tried Blazers, heard good stuff but can't find them around here.

HD in Quincy had some today (Blazers) 2 or 3 half pallets, some of the bags were pretty beat-up but I'm sure you cold find A few good ones. Also saw a few bags @ HD in Tewksbury $5.98 a bag the other day.

Long awaited pictures, he went up $5 since I was last out, oh my.

Attachments

• 100_0858.jpg
    100_0858.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 259
Long awaited pictures, he went up $5 since I was last out, oh my. The setup to the right in the one picture is the corn auger at $155/ton.

Attachments

• 100_0858.jpg
    100_0858.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 246
  • 100_0856.jpg
    100_0856.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 259
Status
Not open for further replies.