What have you learned from this forum in 2007?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CK-1

Feeling the Heat
Feb 10, 2006
Want to say Happy Holidays to everyone, since this will be my last day posting or replying to anything until next year. Since there are a few newbie threads here, I want to share some info. on what I learned on this forum this year. Maybe this will encourage members to ask more questions and direct them to the appropriate sources as well. Feel free to share what have you learned this year.

1. Learned how to adjust the door on my PE Summit
2. Learned how to stack wood effectively
3. Read good feedback on the Husky 22-Ton Splitter from Tractor Supply. Got it at a good price.. :)
4. Know how to remove the baffle on my PE Summit
5. Know that... if you have any inspection questions.. ask Elk..
6. Bought a stove thermometer and placed on the door thanks to the information on this forum.
7. Helpful hints in deciding to insulate my full liner.
8. Want to make your PE Summit play mp3's?... ask Hogwildz..
9. Learned how to properly operate my stove. Can get dayum near the "Over-fire" range with only 2 pieces of wood. 7 hour burn min. Woo Hoo!!
10. Since the PE owners like their product so much. Who needs to see, "I Am Legend" when we experience "I Am Summit" when it gets cold.
11. Learned how to distribute the heat using fans.
12. Learned that I can use my old 5ft direct connect and attach to my full-liner to save on liner length and cost. Was able to re-use the block-off plate as well.

Thanks Hearth Members... Happy Holidays...!!

I've learned a lot about drafting that I was not aware of.
And, I learned too late of the complications associated with Everburn stoves.
Now, I am continuing to read on other types of secondary burners, so I don't make the same kind of expensive mistake twice.
Finally, I've learned that there are a lot of folks, like me, that really enjoy the woodburning experience.

I learned:

1 - how to install my insert,
2 - how to stack wood effectively (as mentioned above),
3 - an idea on how much wood I may need for a years burning,
4 - that I am in good company with the experts here,
5 - that a Hydraulic splitter would be my next investment,
6 - although I think I know alot someone on this site knows more than me on a subject.

I have learned that there is no right & or wrong way to, stack, split, scrounge, start,burn , maintain or what eva. What works best for you and if you care to share with others your OK by me. Happy Holidays to all.

Holy cow, I've learned so much.
1 - I was 1 step from buying a Vogelzang Mountaineer, I spent about $100 more and got an EPA Century Hearth that I feel a lot more comfortable with.
2 - I learned the importance of "seasoned" wood and stacking it properly.
3 - The video posted here from Canada was a huge help and I think I will save wood and heat better because of it.
4 - I learned better scrounging techniques and tips on how to be more polite while doing it to foster better relationships.
5 - Most important, I learned how to heat with wood safely, and efficiently with the help of everyone here, which provides peace of mind.
So, in case I haven't said it, and because everyone deserves it, Major thanks to all, and to all a good night.

i learned all i know about my install, and burning wood.
wouldnt have what i have, had it not been for this forum.

learning more everyday.

I have learned too much to begin listing it all.
Most importantly, I have learned not to be afraid to ask questions (even if they may seem dumb). Because no one here dumps on you for asking them. Everyone just trys to help as best they can.
A truly resourceful site.
A sincere "thank you" to all the contributors.

I learned that you don't mess with Webwidow when she has a cup of dishwater in her hand.

I learned that the exhaust fan in the kitchen was the cause of the sporadic cold backdrafting in my flue.

And that even when burning a listed stove in a brick fireplace with a stainless liner, there are a lot of ways to get into trouble. I'm more safety-conscious now than I was before, and I was pretty safety-conscious before.

//soapbox mode on

Finally I learned that the stove builders really need to step up to the plate and ship a calibrated thermometer with every stove. The number of questions I see here about overfiring or underfiring, and the number of people I see trying to compare temperature readings taken with different thermometers in different places on differently-designed stoves and flues, makes me think we are really missing the boat on this one. There would be great safety and environmental benefit to putting a thermometer on every new stove -- if the industry can't get it together to make it happen, maybe government should step in.

//soapbox mode off

I have learned to be a wood burning perfectionist, or as Emeril Lagasi says kick it up a notch. I now have a better understanding of the entire burning process, from drying wood to ash removal. By the way thanks for the help.

BrotherBart said:
I learned that you don't mess with Webwidow when she has a cup of dishwater in her hand.

Or a phone (even though its been denied :p )

p.s. webwidow - I'm sure he "deserved it".

Oh, and besides the bucket loads of money that comes with it( :p ), I would like to thank Craig for running a top notch site. Thanks Craig, and to all the rest that make this the best darn wood forum on the web.

Happy Ho, Ho!

I've learned that I don't know squat about anything. Just ask my wife!

The Bucket loads don't come from the forum! At least they didn't use to, but we are fixing that! :coolgrin:
Forum used to make $2 to $5 a day........well, not bad I guess. Now? Heck, it's almost starting to pay me $.50 an hour!

Must be those Dodge banners......

All kidding aside, the Forum has really shown me the power of numbers (all of you) and the idea of taking suggestions seriously and building the community based on what folks actually want, rather than forcing something on them!

The whole thing (Hearth.com) continues to morph. even as we speak. Even though I have studied the web for over 12 years, I could have never predicted that so many folks would get seriously involved in helping others, and in helping get all the information "out there". What I DID predict correctly over 10 years ago was that MOST consumers were going to eventually use the net for researching stoves (and everything else).

I've learned to trust my stove, trust myself and trust this forum and how much I'd still be in a cold house without the varied and sundry information and opinions I find here.
For every knowledgeable and forward thinking person here I get 'wisdom' from at least as many old-school ''woodchucks'' and thankfully I'm seeing 'our' numbers growing.
I've learned that top-down fires are the only way to go.
Dry oak is a gift from the Gods, but pine is fine in a pinch.
Bigger really is better----hate to admit it and thought you guys were full of it on that one ;-)

Almost everything I know about wood burning.... and I work at a stove shop. After only 3 years in the hearth business I have acquired the trifecta of knowledge (Gas, Wood, Pellet). I can comfortably handle customers burning any of the three fuels and seem to be considered the "expert" at our store that everyone turns to with questions.

I've learned the following:

1. I have been overfiring my stove for the last three years
2. I am fortunate to have only damaged the baffle in my stove from said overfiring
3. If the manufacturer says not to use a grate in your stove, don't... or you will overfire and melt your baffle
4. Century does not like warranty claims on their baffles
5. Stove and flue thermometers are my friend
6. As much wood as I cut, I will never come close to Eric Johnson
7. A firebox full of flame is definately not the best way of gauging temperature nor the most efficient way to burn
8. Never leave a stove filled with pallet wood unattended- at least with the primary air intake fully open
9. Some greater power was involved in my prior operation not causing serious damage
10. To learn from my mistakes and ask my fellow hearth members for info and implement it

I've learned to buy wood in advance and season it myself, how to clean my chimney and why I should clean it! I have learned that I own and operate a "smoke dragon" 8-/ but KNOWING you have a problem is the first step to recovery...LOL. Most of all what I have learned is that everyone here is a great person and darn friendly!

Merry Christmas to ALL!!

Status
Not open for further replies.