What I did on my summer vacation

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jeff_t

Minister of Fire
Sep 14, 2008
SE MI
We watched the sun rise. The speck on the right is someone's PWC anchor buoy. The speck on the left is a loon.

2013-07-14_06-06-58_943.jpg

Cooked some bacon.

2013-07-18_08-33-26_914.jpg

Installed a chimney.

2013-07-14_16-23-04_432.jpg

Laid some tile.

2013-07-15_18-47-42_332.jpg

Installed a stove.

2013-07-18_20-18-15_680.jpg

Dug a keyhole pit. Still need to scrounge more rocks. The only firewood we had was some wet and punky pine I picked up out of the woods, so no cooking this time.

2013-07-13_16-49-58_835.jpg

Picked up a 2/3 cord of beech, maple and ash this morning. Maybe some firepit cooking next time.

2013-07-20_14-02-34_493.jpg

Also built a couple of walls, hung a bunch of sheetrock and a couple of doors, did some fishing, and biked a couple of laps around Mackinac Island and some other tourist stuff. I'm ready to go back to work and take a break.

I got my sock drawer arranged.

Well, if you did one more thing that we don't need to discuss here, I would say you had a perfect vaca!

We watched the sun rise. The speck on the right is someone's PWC anchor buoy. The speck on the left is a loon.

View attachment 106649

Cooked some bacon.

View attachment 106650

Installed a chimney.

View attachment 106651

Laid some tile.

View attachment 106652

Installed a stove.

View attachment 106653

Dug a keyhole pit. Still need to scrounge more rocks. The only firewood we had was some wet and punky pine I picked up out of the woods, so no cooking this time.

View attachment 106654

Picked up a 2/3 cord of beech, maple and ash this morning. Maybe some firepit cooking next time.

View attachment 106656

Also built a couple of walls, hung a bunch of sheetrock and a couple of doors, did some fishing, and biked a couple of laps around Mackinac Island and some other tourist stuff. I'm ready to go back to work and take a break.
The stove install looks fantastic, Jeff! And I'm a tad partial to the keyhole pit (as you know;)), that's looking good too! Make sure you post some pics of your cooking adventures on it!

Reactions: jeff_t
That's how I feel sometimes on Monday morning. :cool:

Great, tile job and stove installation btw.

The stove install looks fantastic, Jeff! And I'm a tad partial to the keyhole pit (as you know;)), that's looking good too! Make sure you post some pics of your cooking adventures on it!

That is my worst tiling job ever. It was a hurry up deal. The place I got the grout from didn't have enough of any color that would work, nor did they even have a suitable sponge. I tried to mix two colors, which didn't work out very well, and I now have a mottled, camouflage-looking grout. Building supply places are few and far between. The closest HD or Lowes is about an hour.

Couldn't lug a tile saw up, so I had to cut it with a diamond wheel on an angle grinder, which actually didn't work too bad. Other than that, I suppose it's okay. I wanted to get it done while I had help to set the stove in place.

I wish I could have built a fire, but it was about 150° outside, with 900% humidity. I was more interested in jumping in the lake.

My rock gatherers are working on the firepit. The blocks were here from something. We dug them out of the leaves. They makes a nice even place to set the grills.

Reactions: ScotO
Looks like a typical vacation for a Michigander with a place up north. Looks good!

Whatsa Vacation??

the time I got spotted fever I was on vacation for like 2 weeks. Jeff's vacation look like more fun though.

Status
Not open for further replies.