1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

What I was told at the fireplace store

Post in 'It's a Gas!' started by dave11, Jul 10, 2008.

1. dave11

dave11 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Western PA
    Rick, yeah I can. I meant to say that those who haven't been following this from the beginning probably don't want to read four pages of stuff to figure out what the last comments are about. Especially since along the way we've wandered off into horses and trucks.

Tonight I'm looking online at all the choices for a wood stove for the basement shop. I'll probably be by tomorrow with questions for you folks.

Take care.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. fossil

fossil Accidental Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Bend, OR
    Yeah, man...you too. I saw you were active on the gas forum. See ya! Rick
  3. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    Dave, sounds like the decision is for a gas insert. I moved this to the gas forum for further discussion. If you want to start up a new thread with inquiries about the basement wood stove, no problem.
  4. Ken C.

Ken C. Member

Loc:
    N. CA.
    What he said! I caught myself tonight looking down at a pile of oak that I've been working on...
  5. DanCorcoran

DanCorcoran Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Richmond, VA
    My 2-cents worth:

Although there are differences in cost, to me the biggest differentiator among gas/pellets/wood is TIME. Gas requires virtually no time, pellets more (buying, hauling, cleaning), and wood the most. I've used all three. My favorite (ignoring time) is wood. I won't use pellets in my home again (in my shop is okay) due to messy cleaning.
  6. PapaDave

PapaDave Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northern MI - in the mitten

Dan, I have to somewhat disagree. How much time does it take you to earn the money to pay the gas man? Rhetorically speaking, since that's none of my business.
    I'm really not trying to be argumentative, but I worked for almost 35 yrs., retired, then started burning wood. If you have no time left at the end of your work day, then you just pay the gas man from your salary/wages and move along. Been there, bought the t-shirt, etc......
    Burning wood saves me at least 200-300/month, for the 7 months we burn. When working, I could make that extra money in pretty short order, but retired, not so much. They ALL require time/money............which one do you have most?
    For me, it turned into a lifestyle change. LOTS of work, but I don't do it all in a weekend, and now that I'm ahead of the game, life has gotten more retiring-like. :cheese:
    Cool avatar,...your house?
  7. spirilis

spirilis Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    New Market, MD
    wow someone dug up a blast from the past... I love it when people do that on web forums ;)
  8. firefighterjake

firefighterjake Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Unity/Bangor, Maine
    That's been happening a lot lately . . . maybe we should have a contest to see who can dig up the oldest thread on this forum . . . and still be able to post a relevant comment to that thread. ;) :)
  9. 70marlin

70marlin New Member

Loc:
    Grass Lake mi

ditto!!!!!
  10. jtp10181

jtp10181 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Madison, WI
    Nevermind.... after I posted I see this post if super old. I never read it to the end before I posted...
  11. daleeper

daleeper Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NC MO
    Dave11, your confusing me a bit. You don't want to use the central furnace, yet you are willing to install a nat. gas insert? Maybe we don't see the whole picture here?

If your gas furnace is an older less efficient model, I would think that a new efficient one would be better money spent than the gas insert. Then work toward updating both fireplaces with wood burning inserts.

Wood pellet market is unreliable, you need to be able to purchase and store a whole season of pellets to be cost effective (at least in this area).

If you have the wood to cut, or enjoy wood heat and the work that goes with it, then wood heat is wonderful, and you help out whoever you are buying wood from. But you have to enjoy it, or you will be using that gas heat, and if you are going to do that, then you might as well be doing it with a good efficient furnace.