What if I don't have a cleanout in chimney?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

heus

Jan 15, 2009
NE Ohio
I plan to line my 100 year old brick chimney with 6" SS flexible liner. I have to knock out part of the chimney to insert a T. There is no cleanout at the bottom of the chimney, only a hole where the old fuel furnace used to vent in the basement. Can I use that hole as the cleanout, and leave the bottom of the T open? Woodstove will beused (not an insert).

NO NO NO NO NO!!!! the tee MUST be plugged. im not sure what you are talking about here. does the chimney go down into the basement? and you want to vent a stove through it on the first floor?

Yes, but I was thinking of connecting a liner from the bottom of the tee out to the existing hole in the chimney in the basement, and plugging it there.

agree with weezer - you have to plug the bottom of the T. But I'm a bit confused as well - it sounds as though you had a furnace appliance in the basement that vented through a masonry chimney whose face was exposed on the first floor. Was there also a hearth on the first floor or do you intend to build a hearth and knock into the chimney to place the T? If the latter, it sounds like you need to install a Thimble and seal off the chimney at the basement level. Do you have any pictures of the basement and first floor areas you are concerned about? Also, can you tell us how long your chimney is from the point you wish to connect as well as the diameter/condition of the flue and the height of the exit above your roofline? There are plenty of skilled folks on this forum that can answer your question, especially with the extra information.

There is no existing hearth. Chimney is approx 30 feet, will be lined with 6" insulated SS flex liner. I will need to break into the chimney on the first floor level. After a thimble is installed, do I need to create a cleanout in the basement?

What you might want to do is tap into the existing chimney twice on the first floor. One for the flue to enter the chimney, and a second penetration below it so you could install a clean out door for access to the bottom of the tee.

Status
Not open for further replies.