What if I move?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BubbRubb

Dec 19, 2007
Hagerstown, MD
Extensive discussion has appeared in other threads regarding purchasing a Harman stove out of state and then finding a different dealer willing to service it. So, I ask, what happens if I move within the 6 year warranty, take the stove with me, and am no longer geographically close to the selling dealer? Also, the warranty is transferable for $25. What if I sell it on Craigslist and someone out of state purchases it?

The manual states:
HOW TO MAKE A CLAIM - Any claim under this warranty should be made to the dealer from whom this appliance
was purchased. Then contact is made with manufacturer, giving the model and serial numbers, the date of purchase,
your dealer’s name and address, plus a simple explanation of the nature of the defect. Extra costs such as mileage and
overtime are not covered. Nuisance calls are not covered by these warranties

In the event of change in ownership, the remaining portion of this warranty may be transferred to the new owner
by sending the new owner information and a transfer fee of $25.00 US to the Harman Stove Company

A good chance that you are

Attachments

• screwed.jpg
    screwed.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 447
I love my Harman P68 and haven't had a bit of trouble with it. However, knowing then what I know now about Harman's service policy and their customer service, I doubt I would have chosen them.

Double posting.

In all fairness to Harman, I don't know that you get any different result from any manufacturer that relies on dealers for service. There just isn't much incentive or obligation for a non-selling dealer to cover the expenses of providing warranty service that he will loose money on. And from the sound of things it is pretty much impossible for them to not loose money on the service call.

And everybody will start screaming comparisions with car warranties again. Well, it clearly states in a car warranty to take it to any dealer. I have never seen any stove warranty for any brand that said anything other than contact the selling dealer. Except for DIY focused lines like ESW that clearly state on the cover of the manual to call them and not bug the dealer.

One of my Jotuls arrived at the house with the hinges broken off of the cast iron front plate. Before it was resolved the dealer went Tango Uniform and it has been two years and Jotul has never responded. I ended up buying the part from a hearth.com member and rebuilding the "new" stove myself.[/quote]

Perhaps I'm ignorant to the whole warranty process. Doesn't a dealer get reimbursed from the manufacturer if they perform warranty work?

Each Brand handles warranty issues differently. As a Dealer you agree to do warranty repairs on that product and in turn you should get Factory Trained. The Factory Training allows you to work on the stoves and gets you to a point where you SHOULD know what you are doing. Some manufacturer's will give the Dealer/Tech a flat rate to fix certain part. If the part is easy to fix the rate is low. If it is a hard repair you should be paid better. Most Brands do not pay the tech/dealer mileage so that is where the service call fee comes into play. Most dealers are not required to carry spare parts. If the dealer comes out to fix something and he does not have the part it will need to be ordered. Guess what? A return call could mean another service call fee to you. Just think if a stove that is made has a handle that is defective on every stove sold between a certain period. The Dealers that sold that stove needs to correct the problem. That can be a lot of time fixing a Factory problem if it was a busy year.

I hope this helps
Eric

I had a customer that purchased a gas log set from us last week and had his gas company install it this weekend. Upon install his gas company found his pilot light would not stay lit. We warrantied a pilot assembly for him and are going to switch it out when it comes in. Its a 45min to an hour drive both directions. The company that makes the burner is going to give us $50 for the labor. That truely does not cover gas both directions and to pay the tech, but it has to be done so what do we do?

Status
Not open for further replies.