What if I wanted to use a balancing valve on my Econoburn?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Huskurdu

Jun 10, 2008
Southwestern NY
After looking @ Nofossil's Simplest Pressurized Storage.....I'm thinking that my Econoburn's 2 circ setup is not going to work with that layout as well as a Termovar mixing valve would work. I believe ghost flows would be a problem if no balancing/mixing valve is used. Is there a cheaper alternative to a Termovar valve? I see Watts and Taco make mixing valves, but I have not idea which one would work for this type of thing. Their's look more like anti-scald valves more than anything.
Thoughts?

np

Huskurdu said:
After looking @ Nofossil's Simplest Pressurized Storage.....I'm thinking that my Econoburn's 2 circ setup is not going to work with that layout as well as a Termovar mixing valve would work. I believe ghost flows would be a problem if no balancing/mixing valve is used. Is there a cheaper alternative to a Termovar valve? I see Watts and Taco make mixing valves, but I have not idea which one would work for this type of thing. Their's look more like anti-scald valves more than anything.
Thoughts?

np

I can help you with this...

2 circ setup is fine. Check valves have to be strategicaly placed.

cheers

Huskurdu- make sure you get the most recent diagram for the circs and check valves from the manual from Mark or Hank at Econoburn.

With mine plumbed as per that diagram, I have no sign of ghost flows.

I think the 2-circulator/ no mixing valve is a great advantage of the Econoburn, as circulators cost a lot less and are more readily replaceable/ obtainable than fancypants thermal blending valves.

Since only one circ is running at a time (as between the near and main circs in the Econoburn layout) there is no electrical efficiency penalty that I can discern.

pybyr said:
Huskurdu- make sure you get the most recent diagram for the circs and check valves from the manual from Mark or Hank at Econoburn.

With mine plumbed as per that diagram, I have no sign of ghost flows.

I think the 2-circulator/ no mixing valve is a great advantage of the Econoburn, as circulators cost a lot less and are more readily replaceable/ obtainable than fancypants thermal blending valves.

Since only one circ is running at a time (as between the near and main circs in the Econoburn layout) there is no electrical efficiency penalty that I can discern.

I was a bit off track on the nofossil layout. I see now (with Piker's help) that the ghost flow issue is a non-issue when the boiler and primary circs are strategically placed. And since I already own 4-Taco 007's (2 are IFC's) at my disposal, circ's are definitely cheaper than the F/P Termovar's . :)
I believe with a little luck and some money spent on Sharkbite fittings (I love those things!) i just might finish this system this year......well it could happen! ;-)

Thanks to all,
np

Status
Not open for further replies.