1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

What if my chainsaw cuts outwards now?

Post in 'The Gear' started by Pascale, Nov 12, 2012.

1. Pascale

Pascale New Member

Hi,

I posted a thread last week about the problems I had with my chainsaw:
    Problems with my chainsaw

This weekend I checked if the chain was facing in the right direction ;) (it was), cleaned the saw as much as I could and tried to sharpen the chain as explained on the video (link in the thread above).

It's running better than it was before but now every log over 4 inches that I cut has an outward curve in it.:rolleyes:
    I'm trying to figure out what side of the chain is sharpened too much, can you help?
    I could try to resharpen the other side, then.

Thanks again.

Pascale

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. swagler85

swagler85 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NE Ohio
    Do you have a micrometer or small crescent wrench to measure the cutters? When you are sharpening check to make make sure you are keeping the cutters on both sides the same length. You can also go back now and take a small crescent wrench to check. Simply set it to the length of one side cutter then check to see if the others are the same.
  3. TradEddie

TradEddie Minister of Fire

Loc:
    SE PA
    I often have the same problem, and posted the same question just a few weeks ago. One factor I had never considered was the bar. When I flipped my bar upside down, the problem was drastically reduced.

TE
  4. smokinj

smokinj Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Anderson, Indiana
    If the chain is done right and you flip your bar often you should be able to cut a 55 inch stright line. Free hand chain fileing is good enough to touch chains up, but once its off you need to machine it just to correct it. Or, your going to chase your own tail and spend more time with a chain to doing firewood.

147 drive links in 55 inch red oak....If your off just a tad its really going to show up at the bottom. ;)

z.jpg
    pen likes this.
  5. smokinj

smokinj Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Anderson, Indiana
    This one was done on a machine. But, what you want to do with hand filing is the samething. Shine the whole tooth 2-3 even stokes is enough. If its not your doing somthing wrong.

cutter resize.jpg
  6. Lumberjack

Lumberjack Member

Loc:
    Western CT
    I agree that it could be the bar. If the rails have spread, have burrs ect, it allows the chain to flop sideways a bit and cut crooked. Every time you sharpen the chain, flip the bar. That way it spreads out the wear and helps prevent the issue you described. Also, if the chain is dull and you are forcing the saw that can cause it to cut a bit crooked.
  7. Sean McGillicuddy

Sean McGillicuddy Burning Hunk

Loc:
    Easton mass.
    :cool: You laugh but I've looked @ some peoples " won't cut " chain was on Backwards!!

Bar flipping helps!
    Does the chain have a lot of side to side play when on the bar?
    The bar might be spread to much to one side.
    Good luck!
    smokinj likes this.
  8. velvetfoot

velvetfoot Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Sand Lake, NY
    I had that issue a couple times. It went away after I brought the chain to the chainsaw place and they sharpened it. Maybe one day, I too will be able to machine sharpen. :)