What I'm stacking today

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fireview2788

Minister of Fire
Apr 20, 2011
SW Ohio
Here are the piles I talked about in the oak thread. The big pile is maple, sassafras, hedge, iron wood, birch, elm, and walnut. The small pile is the oak which is set aside for obvious reasons. BTW, sassafras smells great when splitting it!

IMG_1375.jpg

My only oak to date:
IMG_1376.jpg

fv

Lucky

Very nice pile of splits! I'm hand splitting what I have gathered in the past couple of months, and its a SLOW process. That is a lot of winter fuel you'll enjoy for years with that oak.

BTW, sassafras smells great when splitting it!
fv
Nice bunch of splits, fireview. The sassafras smells so good, it's hard to finish splitting it. The stuff dries out as light as a feather (which I didn't expect, because it seemed so dense and heavy when cut green).

Very nice mix of hardwoods.
Sassafras tea from the roots?
I remember digging roots in the fall, pealing shavings & making tea. Always made the house smell good

Finished product:
The mix,(forgot I had some hickory in there too) sideview:
IMG_1379.jpg

endview:
IMG_1378.jpg

The mighty oak:
IMG_1380.jpg

Good work fv. I certainly can agree on the sassafras. I love cutting that stuff.

Just a little hint here. If you cheat like zap does, next time buy some t-posts as they are much, much stronger than the one in the picture. You can get them in different lengths too and a 5 or 6' would do you nicely.

Yeah, I just need to get off my wallet:confused:. These are what the previous owner left behind but I'm out now so I really don't have much of a choice....besides learning how to stack better.

fv

Status
Not open for further replies.