What insert here? Really want a BK, but....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

2fireplacesinSC

Burning Hunk
Feb 24, 2015
mid South Carolina
Can you all advise me what would work here?
I'd like a good quality catalytic insert.

My options that I've seen so far are BK Princess, BK Sirocco 25, Buck 91, and High Valley 2500. Really not sure about fit/finish of all of these.

Dimensions:
Front Height 27.75"
Width: 36.5"
Depth at floor: 22"
Depth at top: 18.5"
distance to side trim from opening edge: 7.25" (top and sides)
distance from floor to mantle: 51"
stone in front of fireplace comes out: 16.75"

here are some pictures. Can you please help advise me? I would like a BK but not sure about getting a generation 1 product Sirocco and haven't heard much about the princess insert to know if it's as good as the rest.

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: Ok, not just cat's now. Anything goes! any insert meet these clearances beside the Jotul C450?

IMG_6986.JPG IMG_6987.JPG IMG_6988.JPG

Last edited:
Quotes I have so far:

BK Princess $3254
Buck 91 $2931
HV 2500 $2558

Then install $495
pipe $910 (2 story, 8") for Buck and HV
pipe is less for Princess but I didn't get an amount

Do those insert prices seem reasonable?

That price is high on the High Valley, I wouldn't pay more than $2K for it, it is a no frills budget cat insert.

If you can swing the BK princess you will love the thermostatic control, none of the others have it and being able to set and walk away is worth the extra. The princess is a solid heating machine, but not much on looks which is one of the reasons BK did the Sirocco 25.

Your side trim and Mantle are too close for any insert. They will need to be moved/modified to safely fit anything as far as an insert is concerned. Especially the mantle. If you have an insert that fits perfectly flush (almost impossible), your floor protection may be OK. if it sticks out at all - floor protection is too short (most inserts require 16 inches and 18 in Canada). Princess insert sticks out of the opening several inches, so that would require additional floor protection. Not sure on the others you listed.

From what i can tell from the buck 91 manual, my clearances are too tight for the trim I have.

For the sirocco, though, it looks like I'll have about 1.4" beyond the minimum requirement. I would have to use a heat shield as well.

Does that seem correct to you all?

My fireplace is 36.5", the insert mid-section listed in the manual is 28 1/8", and my trim is 7.25" from the edge of my fireplace opening. I have 11.44" clearance from the side of the unit (that the manual lists as where to measure from). It lists 10" as recommended clearance so I should be good by the extra 1.4".

I would plan on buying a hearth pad to put in front of it when in use.

Anyone have any other thoughts or recommendations? Other brands that will fit? I'm keeping an open mind. I just want something that is quality, 8-12 (or longer) hour burn times and easy to use and that will fit without redoing my trim. That's not an option currently.

I checked with woodstock too, thinking maybe their ideal steel or absolute steal could sit inside of fireplace. They said no. It's not designed that way.

I checked with woodstock too, thinking maybe their ideal steel or absolute steal could sit inside of fireplace. They said no. It's not designed that way.

Would one fit in front of the fireplace and rear vent?

Yes, but I'm trying to have something inside the fireplace if possible. Might wind up having to do that though if clearances don't pan out.

I would go for the princess. You state long burn times are important and that means you want a BK. Especially in inserts, nothing comes close to the BK for burntimes. I would only skip the scirroco at this time due to the newness. The Princess is a proven design, no bugs to work out.

Thanks everyone.

Unfortunately, I have to change plans. To get any of those inserts, I have to change my mantle a fair amount.

So, I have researched other options. Anyone have an opinion on the Jotul C 450? It meets the clearances. No, it's not cat but oh well. You can't always get what you want in life, right?

Any other options come to mind? The trim starts 35" above the hearth floor so it's real close. Does anyone know if Regency's fit the bill? I was having a hard time getting their manual to work on my computer last night so I couldn't tell on the I2600 insert or others. And I really don't know anything about Regency's reputation.

The 450 is a good insert, puts out a good amount of heat and gives you the ability to have it near flush mount or out on the hearth depending on the install. I was only able to get 5-6 hour burn times out of it however. I don't see where you mention how many sq feet you are looking to heat.

Thanks Mellow. I'd love to get info on how you burned it etc. i saw how you change out stoves frequently and burn time was an issue for you on another post.

My plan is to burn as much as I can more as a supplement than a primary heat. I live in the south so my heating needs are relatively low for my size house. I have around 4200 sq feet with 2400 main floor and 1800 top floor (bedrooms). I already have an F3 in one fireplace/end of the house. This new insert will go in the main/center of the house. i can just about heat my home using the F3 actually. It just requires frequent firing as you'd expect.

Now it looks like it's between the jotul c450 and maybe the regency ci2600 just based on clearances.

My stove shop is pushing me away from catalytic. They said they mostly sell Buck and Jotul. Not really any other fire place shops in the Columbia SC area that I've found. So we generally pay retail in this area.

Status
Not open for further replies.