What insert to buy...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chris2879

Nov 8, 2010
Western MA
This is a great site with tons of information. We are looking to put in an insert in our masonry fireplace. One requirement that is important to us is the viewing area. We were looking at the Osburn 2200 bay window, but am having a hard time finding feedback on it, and the dealer that sells them in addition to enviro, pacific energy, archguard, and regency was real fond of the pacific energy. We would be torn between the PE Super or the Summit if we decided on PE. How does the glass area on the PE Super compare to others in the similar class? What other brands and models are good stoves? We have a 2600 sq ft colonial in Western MA. We are mainly going to use this on weekends and maybe sometimes during the week... but it might be more... i see that's the trend people on the forum seem to follow. There is so much information on here... it is hard to pick a starting point!

I would look at any company but PE. I just bought one and found the company to knowingly leave the literature and installation specifications wrong ("highly misleading" according to them), not return calls or emails because no one know the details of the product, and give different answers to the same question before and after my purchase. (my local dealer was excellent)
As a bonus you will a company which is worse to deal with than a no name company from China. See my recent review or first post for more details.

In the "other stove" category I just recently installed a Hearthstone Clydesdale. It has a very large viewing window compared to most and I have nothing but good things to say about it.

There are also several very happy PE owners on this site that I'm sure can help you out with the summit and super

Big thumbs up on the Clydesdale. The viewing area, I believe, is the largest of any insert. Also the firebox is lined with soapstone which makes for nice even heating and prolonged heat even after the fire has subsided.

I've had mine for 4 years now and love it. I also hear the new version of the Clydesdale has had some nice improvements to the door latch and the blower. Look around on this site. There is a lot of info on the Clydesdale.

Good luck

i recently purchased the Hearthsone Clydesdale and am in my second season of use. i LOVE IT!!! clearly i am biased but hear me out on this one. I chose to spend a bit more money up front knowing it is one of a few wood burning inserts that qualifies for the tax credit. so the $4500 i spent will only be $3000 after tax man comes. in exchange you get a MUCH superior product. it is cast iron lined with soapstone... not steel. the soapstone holds the heat for hours. I am amazed some mornings when i come downstairs and the blower is still on even though there is not so much as a coal still burning in the firebox. I cant say enough good things about it, it is ultra efficient, burn time around 10 hours, VERY easy to operate and control temp, huge firebox means less cutting and splitting, large viewing area is very nice, and best of all.... I AM HEATING A 4200sqft HOUSE WITH IT! Que all the nay sayers that will say i am exagerating but i am telling you the truth. With that said, i have transfer fans that make that possible. i really did alot of research and chose this stove for all the things previously mentioned. again, $1500 tax credit means you really are getting a top of the line product for the price of a low to midrange unit.
the efficiency is amazing (i clean out the ashes like once every 6 weeks) and it cranks out heat. i am currently burning 1.5 yr old cherry (not the best wood not the worst) the stove handles it easily and produces a tremendous amount of heat. the only bad thing i can say about it is the blower is a little loud on it's highest setting... but i turn it down if it is bothersome. the 2010 model has some really nice upgrades from the older model (my neighbor has an 05). YOU MUST GET THE BLOWER! otherwise you are wasting your time. again, i am biased because this is the unit i chose but i feel very confident recommending this unit to anyone considering an insert. spending a little more upfront will pay off huge down the road, i use much less wood than either of my buddies (one has a Lopi other has Regency) and i heat a much bigger space. open layout and transfer fans make all the difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.