What is 10.5 Vdc

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just as Smoke Show said - 10.5 volts dc. Typically the battery would be 12 volts dc. When the battery gets drained down to 10.5 vdc, the stove would quit running.

To give you an idea, your car battery is 12vdc. When your car is running, your voltage will increase to 13.5 to 14.5 volts dc because of the alternator generating electricity. If you have your headlights on while your car is running, the lights are quite bright. If you turn off your engine, leaving your lights on, you will notice that the lights dim some. The longer you leave them on, the lower the voltage from the battery gets and the dimmer the lights get.

So as the voltage from the battery on the stove drops, the fans and auger would also run slower. The 10.5 volts is where the manufacturer has decided that the stove is not running effectively and that the voltage in the battery wouldn't last much longer.

Former Farmer said:
The 10.5 volts is where the manufacturer has decided that the stove is not running effectively and that the voltage in the battery wouldn't last much longer.

Actually, 10.5 volts is where the manufacturer has decided that the inverter will shut off. Because if you discharge a lead acid battery lower than 10.5 volts, you just toasted the battery. Buy a new one.

Thanks for all the input, I now am only using 4 six volt batteries that are left overs from my golf cart. I had one of those go bad, so I got six new ones for the golf cart and kept four of the old ones for the pellet stove. I have gone 5 hours so far on batteries that are 8 years old.
Thanks again for your input

Status
Not open for further replies.