what is a gasser?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bspring

Feeling the Heat
Aug 3, 2007
Greenville, SC
Is a gasser just steam instead of hot water? Can either of them be inside the basement?

Most likely meaning a "wood gasification boiler", not necessarily a steam boiler.

And yes, a “wood gasification boiler” can be in the basement (usually better done with a draft inducer fan as part of the system).

A gasser is slang for wood gasifacation boiler, which burns the flu gases up before it goes out the chimney. Has nothing to do with steam although I'm sure there probably are steam (gassers).

Does a secondary burn chamber do the same thing? My Yucon has a secondary burn chanber for a "cleaner burn". When I got it I was under the impression that all boilers had to be outside. Could this be SC code? I went with wood furnace because I thought I might get too lazy to walk outside in the cold and rain to load wood and resort to turning the heat pump on.

Bspring said:
Does a secondary burn chamber do the same thing? My Yucon has a secondary burn chanber for a "cleaner burn". When I got it I was under the impression that all boilers had to be outside. Could this be SC code? I went with wood furnace because I thought I might get too lazy to walk outside in the cold and rain to load wood and resort to turning the heat pump on.
No, a secondary burn isn't the same. In a gasser primary chamber the wood is burned(pyrolitically decomposed) with a minimal amount of air producing wood gas & this is mostly what sets a gasser apart from others. The wood gas is then drawn or blown through a bed of coals & this might also be pyro. decomp. , not sure. After going through the coal bed the gas goes into a nozzle or nozzles into the secondary chamber at about 2000 degrees F. This high heat is easily lost(transfered) in the boiler because of the large difference in temp between flue gas & boiler temp. Gassers are not easy to build right & cost because of the R&D, Randy

Status
Not open for further replies.