what is a used good condition harman P61 worth??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ad356

Dec 25, 2009
north java, ny
so what's my stove worth? i think at $250+ per ton of pellets we are going to be parting ways. its not really enough heat either considering how bad our winters have become, when temps get down to negative double digits for weeks at a time. we are talking about miserable temps lately, and i am lucky if the house is 60 with no reserve capacity, stove maxed out. running at that setting the stove will chew through pellets as well. the stove is probably 4 years old and had a newer auger feed motor and room fan motor. so what's it worth, i am thinking $1,500 which would include the pellet vent exhaust. this is a P61 manual ignition stove

i am thinking long and hard about going to coal. i can get bulk delivery for $240 OR $280 bagged. coal yields ALLOT more heat, and burns much slower. last year i was in for about 7 tons of pellets if i went coal i would be really surprised if i burn more then 4 tons.

7*250=$1750
4*280=$1120

thats $600 year and that's a much warmer home. i am thinking im done with pellets, which sucks because this is still a great stove, but it seems to be like pellets are going to continue to rise. i might want to get rid of this unit before it becomes impossible to sell it. too bad hemp is illegal, just think how cheap hemp pellets would be to make. stupid government protecting the oil industry

Hello

Being a manual stove I would say between $1,000 and $1500. If it is an auto lite $1500 and $2000. If you like to tinker then, throw in an auto lite kit. People like the auto lite kit because it will automatically shut down on the warm spring and fall days and save a lot of pellets . That is what I did to both my P61 stoves. :)

If a p61 can barley keep you house 60 degrees, you might want to replace the windows and add some insulation.

Maybe closing the doors and windows?

I have a p68 and my house is 72 nooooo problem.

Reactions: Peterfield
When I saw stove fully open and not hitting past 60 I got to wonder where the hell are you running the stove. I have a P61 and in 2k SF I have never had that thing fully open even at -25 out.

High ceiling= high heat bills, just like high frontal area in a vehicle usually is high gas consumption:(

Hello
I have a 2200 sq ft split with a p61a-2 in the basement that heats the house very comfy. I also have another p61a-2 in the garage/workshop that it can use as a backup that will also heat the whole house. I am also building a new 22x12 workshop next to the garage and attached with a metal door to go into the garage. I picked up a 48k BTU Harman Advance for this new space and all 3 stoves have the Selkirk DT venting for the 10% boost in efficiency!

If a p61 can barley keep you house 60 degrees, you might want to replace the windows and add some insulation.

Maybe closing the doors and windows?

I have a p68 and my house is 72 nooooo problem.

the doors and windows were closed, lol. ALL of the windows AND doors were replaced in the last 4-5 years brand new. we also took down all of the old drywall and put up insulation and drywall what a terrible mess we lived through, so you cannot say that we didnt do any work. the last two winters also have been very very miserable negative double digit temps for record lengths of time. it used to be we would get a cold spell lasting a few days, this was much worse. so yeah the harman doesn't keep with that. that and the harman would burn up to 3 bags a day, it gets stupid expensive heating with pellets when its that cold. is the harman a good pellet stove, i think its among the best as far as pellet stoves go.... do i like pellets as heating source when its that cold out no i dont. i want something hotter. i am also not happy now that pellets cost as much as coal. pellets produce less heat therefore they should be priced accordingly.

i spent all of that money on updates and it didnt make that much of a difference. oh, yeah and this house is an antique, it was built in 1895, its an old plank farmhouse..... i think the only way i think i could make it more airtight if i removed the old siding and re-wrapping the house. i am not going through that anytime in the near future. but yes the house was upgraded.

so how do i install an auto light kit into my harman P61? if i kept the stove i certainly would like that ability instead of constantly wasting pellets, if i sold it i could increase the resale value. how much is the kit and where i can i buy one?

i am seeing $485 for the kit, is that correct? how much does it really save over the course of a season?

That is about right, I luv the convience and how it shuts down by itself.
It is not hard to install but tedious. I did a cleaning and install of the kit in 4.5 hours with someone helping me, but the cleaning took almost 2 hours.
Basically you have to change the burnpot and install the igniter in the new one, change the slide plate arm in the back, change the circuit board and replace the wiring harness.
I just take my time and double check everything so it comes out right. The kit has everything you need.

I don't see how adding an auto ignition is going to solve your heat loss problem or save you any money.....Your consuming a far higher than average for 2500sq-ft. Your stove runs probably 95+% of the time. Are there any ceiling fans up high in your home? Have you taken a temperature reading at the top of the ceilings to see if there's a large amount of heat build up?

Coal IS great, but can you guarantee it's always going to be available??

I understand your pain. I have a pb105 in a remote building with an oil boiler backup. I have high ceilings--35' in the main room with an open floor plan. Burned about 10 tons last year but that is still far less cost than I would have spent on oil. This year I will burn some oil. I was going to put in a coal boiler instead of the pb105 but when I figured the transport cost for bulk coal vs. local bag cost (very high) the pellets won. The pb 105 throws some heat in my barn/worksop but I also have a harman magnum coal stoker in there for when I want it toasty. I like the heat from coal but it is messy and generates a lot of ash. I can go a few weeks without emptying the ash pan in the pellet boiler. The magnum has to be emptied every day. The coal ash can be a mess so if your stove will be in a living area that will be an issue for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.