what is about pellets.......

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mjbrown

Feeling the Heat
Jan 15, 2008
Hartland,Me.
that catches a dogs attention?i have a 14 month old english mastiff that goes approx. 200 lbs right now.if i leave the cover off my pellet tote, he will go over and start eating pellets to beat jeepers.when i told my dad about it he said his boston terrors are doing the same thing! i have never seen anything like it...at the rate my mastiff goes at them , i bet he could eat a 40 lb. bag in a matter of hrs. i better call tech support bcuz he isnt very fuel efficient.

just thought this would be a cute story on the side but it really puzzels me. :bug:

mike

Do you ever put food in his bowl ? LOL ;-P

What does that dog eat in a week ? Must cost a fortune.

mjbrown65 said:
that catches a dogs attention?i have a 14 month old english mastiff that goes approx. 200 lbs right now.if i leave the cover off my pellet tote, he will go over and start eating pellets to beat jeepers.when i told my dad about it he said his boston terrors are doing the same thing! i have never seen anything like it...at the rate my mastiff goes at them , i bet he could eat a 40 lb. bag in a matter of hrs. i better call tech support bcuz he isnt very fuel efficient.

just thought this would be a cute story on the side but it really puzzels me. :bug:

mike

My golden will go over to my tote after i pour a fressh bag and will nibble on one or two he doesn't feast on them. Not sure it is a good idea for an animal to eat them after seeing them triple in size after they get wet I think they might explode a dogs stomach.

My dogs never touch the pellets, however the Long haired Mini Dachshund has been munching on the corn I just bought.

Schoondog

cncpro said:
Do you ever put food in his bowl ? LOL ;-P

What does that dog eat in a week ? Must cost a fortune.

he goes thru a 40 lb bag of dogfood a week, PLUS 1/2 of what everyone else is eating!

no,it probly isnt good for them to eat these things, so i have to make sure the cover is on the tote.it just blew my mind when i saw him do it.
when he was a pup i was burning wood , he would pull a stick out of the hoop and pulverize it all over the living room floor.

My Westie sniff's 'em but won't eat 'em...

I have 3 dogs they don't go near the pellets, drop a Piece of wood in the yard they are all over it, That cat plays Hockey with the loose pellets, keeps her busy!!

My dogs don't eat them, but if one ends up on the floor while filling the hopper, they chew it up and leave a mess on the floor.

Feed em some food or at least let them eat small children and goats. Save the pellets.

Eric

This sounds like the dog in that Cheech and Chong movie that ate their stash!!

Feed him a couple welfare brats, no one will notice they even left especially mom and dad. Give him a real treat. Get a couple, make it 4 or so since he is so big, horse poo pies. Dogs just love em and can't get enough. They gobble them down then almost immediately toss lunch in what I find to be the ultimate recycling process. Think about that next time old Rover licks yer kisser. Pucker up!!!!

Don't let your dog eat pellets. They will expand when they absorb moisture, and could kill your dog if they eat enough. A couple won't hurt them, but too many will.

When I first got my stove and my dog watched me bring in the bag and pour them in, I think he thought I was burning his food. He would lay down and watch them fall into the burn pot, look back at me, and then watch some more. I keep them covered at all times and make sure he can't get them.

JB

One of our dogs likes to eat them if they fall on he floor while loading the hopper but the other one could care less. I think it's because she's a puppy and she likes to pick up anything she finds, paper clips, pieces of plastic, small pieces of cardboard. She loves chewing on wood so I just thought she likes the taste. She also likes to eat dirt and then ralph all over the carpet.

One of my Labs is a goober that has no brains at all. He comes running everytime
I fill the coal hod with pellets thinking its suppertime. After 3 seasons with the stove
you would think he would get it by now...but ..

The other Lab just looks at him like...DUH

Status
Not open for further replies.