what is best for wood conservation EPA 85.6% insert stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jerseykat1

Dec 19, 2010
North NJ
What do you guys think is the best method for maintaining a nice temperature and conserving your wood?

a. stuff the box with many small logs
b. stuff the box with medium to larg logs
c. one big odd shaped log
d. none of the above (what do you do?)

none of the above. Been burning now for 3 years and am just getting to know some new tricks each season. A few things I do: I burn the odd splits and softer woods in the shoulder seasons . In early winter (now) when I'm burning 24/7 I mix up maple and oak. In the colder part of winter I burn all oak. The split sizes vary and they all have specific jobs. Fatwood/cedars, smaller maple splits and regular sized splits are what I use, and they all get used a specific times as well. It all comes down to experience and time with your stove, and of course forums like this one definitely helps big time. GOOD LUCK!

Got to go with D as well.

Fall and Spring: I burn my punks, chunks and uglies (punky wood, short pieces and knotty/gnarly wood) as I don't need to or want to pack in the wood to fill up every inch of space in the firebox . . . I also tend to use more softwood and slabs during this time of year.

Winter: I burn a variety of sizes . . . as MOHMH said . . . they all have a role . . . from the small splits used to burn down the coals and catch the load on fire to the large rounds and splits used for the overnight and overday fires . . . if I'm home I may opt to use more of the medium wood and may go for the lower BTU wood and just reload more often . . . if I'm aiming for a long fire with coals I'll dig out my good stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.