What is easiest method to rip-out existing pre-fab fireplace & pipe?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

njkev

Aug 31, 2008
New Jersey
Hi Group,
I have posted my intention to replace my pre-fab Superior BRF-3875 with the Heatilator Constitution in a previous post:
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/22326/

I obviously have to remove my existing pre-fab fireplace and pipework, and do some demolition (i.e. rip out sheet-rock on two floors) before I can have my new fireplace installed. The see that the Constitution requires SL300 pipe. Can someone provide instructions on how to {easily} remove my existing pre-fab and (BC8) pipe.

Thanks,
Kevin

I removed my Majestic by cutting the pipe loose from the top of the FP, with a sawzall. Had to do some bending to the top of the unit to get the saw in. The unit was held in place by screws on the face. I had to remove the brick facia to get to those screws...pita. The pipe work (12') came out through the top easily, after removing the sealant & screws at the flashing. The pipe was interlocked & did not want to come apart, even on the ground. My chase was wide open & did not have any fire stops. You may want to get a mirror & flashlight to evaluate what you have up above the unit...if so able

Thanks for the advice, GASAVAGE. However, I have to buy (borrow) a 40' ladder as the top of my chimney is closer to 30' from the ground level.

Status
Not open for further replies.