What is everyone running for pellet stove back-up power?

• Thread starter The Village Idiot
  • Start date
  • Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
5500 watt generator that is connected via an outdoor weather proof receptacle to a transfer switch in my garage. Since I have an outdoor hot tub and one submersible pump for my drilled well and a jet pump for my dug well, I usually trip breakers on a number of items in order to power the essentials during a power outage. I usually keep the fridge, pellet stove, oil boiler, one well pump, and stereo or tv circuits on. With a few lights as well. With just the essentials on the 5500 watt can keep up with relative ease.

There is a part of me that regrets not investing in a larger, automatic stand by generator back when I bought my current generator and switch. The other more rational part of me reminds me occasionally that I've actually only had to use my current set-up twice since I invested about $1800 into it several years ago. At that time an automatic set-up would have cost around $6,000 minimum.....and still only would have been used twice so I suppose I made the right decision.

UPS to protect from surges. Manual start generator for power outages - the stove will run on this but does not run great. my best backup is my kerosene heater.

It will keep the house just as warm as the stove, but unlike the stove, it can not be left unattended. I can and do leave the room etc but not the house. and we have a lot of CO detectors.

Honda 7250 watt fuel injected inverter genset. Bought it last year right before blizzard and it's been sitting unused since. With a possibly big ice storm coming, might get to use it! :/

Champion 7k generator .. it is dual fuel , propane and gasoline .. I have 4 BBQ size tanks ... genne has <5% THD so it won't blow my digital stuff up ... got it at costco on sale for 599... have it set to plug into inlet below panel on a 30 amp breaker.. enough for the lights furnace pellet stove, well etc

i have a briggs 6500k for the house. bought a briggs 2000w generator/inverter for the pellet stove this year with a 3 year warranty from wal mart for 584 shipped. i was one the line inbetween the briggs,or a harbor freight one. but i figured when i need it i want it to work. so im counting on the briggs

UPS to protect from surges. Manual start generator for power outages - the stove will run on this but does not run great.

Be careful, this generator may blow up your electronics. You need a pure sign wave generator or an inverter.

Status
Not open for further replies.