What Is In Your Stove Right Now?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
i loaded up with a mix of maple, 1x4 and elm this morning. for some reason, it decided it wanted to smoke out the neighborhood, even though it was the same stuff I loaded up last night and not a puff of smoke....

Doesn't that like, explode? lol I have 2 pallets of cedar in normal splits that a friend had taken down in his yard, I have never tossed any in my stove just because of how sparky and poppy they are in the fire pit.

Nah, been burning it off and on all fall. No issue at all for my BK. Not sure if it would want to run away in a non-cat, though.

From this am...one pine branch, couple of maple splits and some mystery wood. All of mine gets mixed up with stacking and restacking.

Half a dozen splits of oak, and a dozen small 4" chunks. Still cutting 4" off every damn stick of 20+ cords, resizing wood originally CSS'd for the big Jotul Firelights, to feed these smaller BK Ashfords.

I mixed some russian olive, a piece of elm, a pine branch, a 2x4, a cedar 4x4, and a big maple piece this morning.... and maybe a piece of ugly bendy box elder root....

Off and on fires here, too.
50ºF outside and we let the fire go out and let the boiler take over.
Gets too hot inside with the wood stove when it is warm out.

Burning just swamp maple and EWP so far. A little bit left of a fir tree I cut down 2 or 3 years ago.
I have lots of standing dead pine, I burn that mixed in and sometimes just pine when I have the time to keep feeding the stove.

Temps in low 50's here in PA. Just put in some soft maple and pallet wood for overnite.

i put a big piece of cherry in this morning.... mmmmm it smells so good! then i filled the rest with maple

Old ash, as in burnt ash - no wood temps are balmy here. Just use oil over night at 62 degrees.

bob

Weather has been too dry to use the firepit, so we are burning the punky pine I split for the firepit. The weather is still pretty mild so I am not burning my good wood. As always, the wifey is toasty and happy.

More silver maple for me. Temps started to drop and we are going to see highs in the low 40's with stiff winds. I should be able to keep the stove going without running us out of the house or opening windows now.

First fire in the King and it's about as good as it is going to get - big tamarack and fir splits - with lots of fir limbs. Burning off the stink, but outside of some Maple rounds that I have to split I probably won't see any better wood. I have a few cords of ponderosa pine and some lodgepole pine, but suspect I will be burning about 75% fir.

Lately, it's been primarily Subalpine Fir and Engelmann Spruce with some lodgepole pine periodically... right now, 1 large lodgepole round, and a couple sticks from a Whitebark Pine... and lots of coals from Subalpine earlier in the day.

Wood from stack of multiple scrounges - ash (EAB victims), zelkova, alder, Norway maple, a bit of hawthorn, with much of my Norway spruce from '15 removal, plus Osage, which I mix in to give me some good coals in the am, or when I rekindle in the evening after cool but not cold days. I'm also running shorties (8"-12") of bur oak splits stored in the IBC crate that I burn N/S. They burn great with nice coaling.

Finally getting into the birch. I have to say, hemlock was not bad. Have some of it still in the stacks. Will mix it with the birch for the next three weeks, then the big guns!!

Cherry, white oak, and red oak combo is a beautiful thing.

2 year dogwood and 3 year pin oak. They both burn nice and hot!

Gotta diverse shed coming up, but still burning mostly ash and poplar. Funny I started rationing out the poplar so I can try and have a few splits per day for start ups for a good while. Two poplar splits, a few pieces of paper and homemade firestarter in-between and a few pieces of ash diagonal and I can have it roaring in minutes. No kindling. Awesome. Was gonna give away the two more poplars I've got to fell, but not anymore.

Reactions: Tom123
Still not all that cold here.

Pine in the morning and then again late in the afternoon.
Maple load at night.

Been burning since Oct 1. 2 Cords down, finally got rid of all the junk tulip/poplar (which was great for the mild fall), and with multiple days of snow on the way, just in time moving on to the heartier maple, black birch, and oak mix. Moved about a cord into the basement today.

Maple/oak mix in the stove this evening.