What Is In Your Stove Right Now?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I came home tonight and started with a load of Douglas fir/western hemlock. I just threw 2 pieces of fir in to keep the temp up and burn the coals down. Gonna load up a mix of birch and fir before bed.

Reactions: Ashful
Just for giggles since I read here that ash is one of the few that can be split and
tossed right in the firebox if necessary and just tried it.

Fresh dropped / bucked/ split.
Hissed on the coalbed for a half hour and then lit itself right up.
Not as many btu's semi-green but it worked !

Switching to older ash for the night ahead. Lookin' at 27 F / -2 C tonite.

CheapAndFartin'Around

I woke up this morning and it was 7º, so I loaded it up with maple, cedar, and elm....

With the cold weather coming in this week, I've swapped from a 20/80 cherry / locust blend to the opposite. I have cords and cords of seasoned black locust after clearing a horse pen for a family friend a few years back but it's stacked right in the middle of an open area that I want to put a hoop house on in the Spring.

Burn baby burn!

Reactions: FaithfulWoodsman
With the cold weather coming in this week, I've swapped from a 20/80 cherry / locust blend to the opposite. I have cords and cords of seasoned black locust after clearing a horse pen for a family friend a few years back but it's stacked right in the middle of an open area that I want to put a hoop house on in the Spring.

Burn baby burn!

Wow locust in early Dec.! What will you burn in Jan-Feb?

Ash, couple hard maple splits I lucked into and a wide thin curved piece of cherry from rotted out section on top.

More locust!

Nice!

I cherish mine as if it was the best red wine! Burn it only in the dead of winter (overnights).

Nice!

I cherish mine as if it was the best red wine! Burn it only in the dead of winter (overnights).
Oh, I'm with you. But, to continue this analogy, the only problem is it's like someone (me) stacked a couple thousand bottles of that fine red wine in the middle of my lawn and I either need to move and re-stack or drink it all! I've always been more philosophically aligned with the "tomorrow is not guaranteed" camp...so, in it goes!

Reactions: Jay106n
Oak at night, maple,oak, birch & cherry during the day.

28 degrees and foggy. Its strange and it doesn't even feel cold. Pine and maple.

Jay,
Weirdly cool how that fog makes a difference! Humidity is high and wind is low. Enjoy.

Woke up to a cold shanty and a "barely" ash coalbed. (did cleanout today) loaded a monster
mix of of old ash n' pine to flame the joint. The dogs have even left the room now. LOLOL
Maple n' ash when that calms down.

Grabbed some mulberry to throw on the coals along with some red elm.
Oooooohhhhhhhh, now that's a hot little number! ................I miss my red elm.

Coldest nite of the early seaaon...

24 F/ -6 C and still dropping so I went with the ash n' oak.
Brought up the cart and both totes with the same for next two days of 24/7.
Armload of OLD balsa-like ash for flash starts.

Same here, may have hit single digits over night - woke up to a ton of locust coals but not much heat. Burning those down with some pine and ash and then have a pile of oak to bat cleanup.

Just got done with the last of some maple and moved on to some magnolia, persimmon and mostly red oak. Just in time for the arctic blast!

I'm impressed by those of you staging species for specific conditions, and even more by those who can identify the species of a split after three years drying. I just use it as it comes off the stacks, whatever the species, although I don't bother stacking anything other than primo hardwoods.

I think the ID ability goes back to the "How many times do you handle your wood" thread. By the time I go through all that I'm on a first name basis with most of my splits. So, I know that I put cherry on top of the coals with ash on top of that.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

more by those who can identify the species of a split after three years drying
As Flame said, so many times to handle and I keep my stuff covered, so unless the barks fallen off and the whole peice has turned grey it doesn't look to different from its original state.

3 yr red oak and 2 yr locust. Flames turned clear white purple there for a while.

Currently all Ash. It burns easily enough, just going through it like hot chocolate chip cookies.

Today I made the transition to 3 year old red oak - had been burning a combination of pine and sycamore but I'm running out of that and the temperature has turned much colder here in Virginia.

Reactions: Tom123
A mixed bag. Elm, maple, cherry, red oak, pin oak.