What Is In Your Stove Right Now?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
stuck some 40yo partical board i just ripped up from my floors

Was 9 degrees this morning and only made it to the mid 20's for a high today. I just closed down the third load of 3 year red oak for the day.

Got the fire place going tonight with pine and maple, the stove has maple and red oak.

Silver maple and a couple of pieces of red elm. The temps have come up to the mid 30's here in central Indiana and the stove has the house a comfortable 75*. The upstairs bedrooms are 69-70*

Hedge with a piece or two of elm in there to tame the fire a bit.

My property is covered in hedge and locust with some green ash and mulberry as well. All I have to do is cut and split it. If you've never burned hedge it's great.

Hedge with a piece or two of elm in there to tame the fire a bit.

My property is covered in hedge and locust with some green ash and mulberry as well. All I have to do is cut and split it. If you've never burned hedge it's great.

Wanna ship me some so I can transplant it? ha

Burning some pine to work down the coals again. In the 30's now which is better than the 14 degrees I went to bed to the other day, and the 9 degrees we woke up to yesterday.
House was chilly in the back rooms, but the Buck kept the main part of the house at 72 degrees. She got workout.
Some birch and oak for the next load...

Below zero tonight with -25 wind chills. Prepping the stove for coals now with maple. Got my primo larger white and red oaks splits warming stoveside for a good all nighter

Reactions: FaithfulWoodsman
With it dipping below zero, I dug out some splits that were a little deeper. Wasn't plannjng on tundra weather mid December. Poplar, ash, hard maple, big red oak chunk, and a big Osage chunk. 3° outside, 72° inside. It's like giving old man winter a wedgy before pushing him downhill. ::-)

Reactions: Hasufel
woodstove 001.JPG

Red Maple is glowing away in my VC Acclaim.
Its about 10 degrees outside and 80 in the room with the woodstove.
We don't heat exclusively with wood, we only use it when its really cold out or it'll cook us out of the house.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Jay106n
I decided to dabble with some of the dogwood that I had been saving up. It was stacked in my basement and I got tired of looking at it. Man this stuff burned like coal for hours!

Reactions: FaithfulWoodsman
Right now I have nothing in the new stove but ashes. Ran first fire Friday, started with poplar and went to locus. Got house up to 70. Burned poplar yesterday for a while. It was 55 over night outside and will be in the 60s today. With the crazy temp swings who knows when I can have a nice burn again, maybe Tuesday

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's 20 degrees outside, windy, and temps are falling fast.

I got home from duty with a few coals in the stove. Took the opportunity to clean the ashes and a little soot on the glass.

Started with a few pieces of silver maple on the coals. Now it's red elm and ash with some cherry on deck.

Woke up this AM to summer temps outside, and crazy heavy fog. Everything outside (and shed) soaked in condensation. Dropping back to 25F this afternoon, but sitting bizarrely near 60F, this morning.

House is a little warm. Stuffed both BKs to the gills with oak, last night, thinking the forecasted warm weather wasn't supposed to hit until this afternoon.

First nite below zero here in the Midwest and the pigbelly is stuffed with red oak
to work the graveyard shift, air screw out 2 turns.

So, another arctic blast yesterday, keeping it cold today. I'm down to 1/4 cord at the house, which is just a few days at my rate, and I realize last night what's left is mostly that cedar I mentioned uncovering a few weeks ago. Won't be able to get down to the wood lot to bring up another cord of oak until next Saturday.

THIS is why I normally just dump all soft woods in the fire pit! <>

I hear ya Ashful. My shed by the house holds two cords, about two months for me. However after a couple years of stacking the back with the hot stuff anticipating the cold showing up after the first cord was burned, I realized "hey dummy, stack one side with hot and the other with lighter/medium stuff". I like my lighter stuff for start ups, but at least I stack now with access to whatever the weather calls for. But the stacks are another story. I gotta fill the thing back up in a week and all the "good stuff" is behind 2 cords of soft maple, which isn't bad wood, but not what I want for vortexes. So stack the first, toss the second somewhere and then stack the other side of the shed with the hotter stuff (beech). My thoughts were "why did I cut so much soft maple?" Oh well, I should stop complaining, I'm very blessed and the house is warm. Ash and cherry today.

Reactions: Ashful
Just added some paper birch, big leaf maple, and a neon tetra to my insert.

Moved a quarter cord of oak to the house last night. More than enough to last me the three days until I can bring a full cord up. This business of cutting every stick of 20 cords from 20" length (from my Jotuls) to 17" length (for my BKs) is wearing thin. That is... until I wake up to a warm house and stove each morning.