What is it about wood heat?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If I used my oil furnace to get the house as hot as the wood stove does, I would be gagging.
Wood heat is definitely different.

ScottF said:
60 is not comfortable for just about anyone wearing shots and a t-shirt. With those clothes 65 is OK for a few, 70 for most people, 60 isn’t for anyone I’ve ever

This is not true for all. I am very comfortable in the middle of the winter at 60 with shorts and a tank top. As a matter of fact I sweat at this temperature if I move or work. I think body type may have a lot to do with it as I was always a gymast and have more muscle mass. At 65 I start to get too warm even in a tank and shorts.

yeah im with you 65 is the max for me. i dont know what it is but i have never liked ultra hot days/weather. my girlfriend on the other hand is the opposite. if she could live on the sun she would :coolhmm: . it's always a fun battle in the car. the heats usually blasting, but my window is all the way down :lol: .

the radiant heat from the stove certainly warms you too your bones, and youll feel fine in the colder rooms till you need to check on the stove again. and there are many other factors as well. but the numeric value of the temp isnt the end all be all. if you get a 55* night in the summer youre freezing. if you get a 55* day in the winter youre out in a t-shirt and shorts. as long as the temp is relatively consistent you should adjust and feel (somewhat) comfortable in most weather.

I'm a newbie to wood heating, but here is my thoughts.....

I feel warmest under the covers when its middle of winter and my body is warm but my nose is cold. There's something about having the two temperatures to compare to, that makes you appreciate the warm one better. With forced air heating, the entire house is 70 degrees. With wood heating, my living room is 75, the kitchen is 70, the TV room is 65 and the bedrooms are 60. I notice the warmth of the living room when I come downstairs and it feels so good, like noticing how warm your body is, when your nose is cold. And if I get too warm, I simply move to another room for a bit --- where with forced air heating I was having "thermostat wars" with my wife, and often chasing my tail even when I was home alone (I'm too hot, turn the thermostat down .... now too cold, turn it up .... now too hot.......)

You guys who run around in shorts and a t-shirt for hours at 60 degrees are why I used works like "mostly" and "almost everyone." Lord knows if someone posted that "no one eats pickles dipped in chocolate" there will be three guys posting that this was their favorite childhood snack...

Patapsco Mike said:
Lord knows if someone posted that "no one eats pickles dipped in chocolate" there will be three guys posting that this was their favorite childhood snack...

One of three right here! Also, try asking a pregnant woman. Something about sweet/dairy + pickles is very popular with those crazy women.

Lord knows if someone posted that “no one eats pickles dipped in chocolate” there will be three guys posting that this was their favorite childhood snack…
One of three right here! Also, try asking a pregnant woman. Something about sweet/dairy + pickles is very popular with those crazy women.

I always eat pickles dipped in chocolate but a funny thing it is only when its 60 degrees and I have on shorts and tee shirts. No other time. In fact I come from a long history of people who eat pickles dipped in chocolate when its 60 degrees and we have on shorts and tee shirts. Funny your brought up those 2 thing in the same thread. What a coincidence

just screwin with ya Mike. No offence intended.

Patapsco Mike said:
You guys who run around in shorts and a t-shirt for hours at 60 degrees are why I used works like "mostly" and "almost everyone." Lord knows if someone posted that "no one eats pickles dipped in chocolate" there will be three guys posting that this was their favorite childhood snack...

COME ON!?!?!? who doesnt like pickles dipped in chocolate. :lol: yeah im deffinately in the minority here not minding 60 degree weather. im mean its all relative; when i come in from shoveling snow for an hour, 60 feels like a sauna, but if im just getting out of a sauna 60 feels like im shoveling snow for an hour... um im confused.

now if you'll all excuse me, im gunna go raid the kitchen for some pickles and chocolate. for some reason im just kindof in that mood

I dunno bout them pickles but i think the reason for the wood heat feeling different is the humidity drop when you heat with wood. Just like it could be 68 outside on a dry day and it feels fine but the next day its still 68 but the humidity is way up with patchy drizzle and you're freezing.

Status
Not open for further replies.