What is it thread?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

smokinj

Minister of Fire
Aug 11, 2008
Anderson, Indiana
What is it and whats all going on?

peppers.jpg

Reactions: ScotO and zap
Making me hungry.
I'll guess smoke drying peppers

Reactions: smokinj
Making me hungry.
I'll guess smoke drying peppers

Yep thats 3 1/2 gallons smokin and that jar off to the left is half gallon and that's what it takes to feel a jar. Next is oak aged hot sauce.

Reactions: ScotO
Homemade chipotle?

Bing go. We put a twist on it and tun it into a powder. Kinda like Paprika but much stronger.
Sounds really really good!

Ummmmmm. Mmmmmmmmm. Looks good.

Smoked, Dried, and canned Peppers :) Yummm

How do you get them ground up into a powder?
I dehydrated some last year and tried to grind them in a small food processor, wouldn't chop into a powder.

I dehydrated some last year and tried to grind them in a small food processor, wouldn't chop into a powder.

I use a wonder mill jr.

Thats exactly what I do with my japs too! It's definetly one of the best things I've ever pulled out of my garden. I put the powder on darn near everytyhing!
I made hot sauce one time and once only. Way too much work for too little yield IMO but it was phenomenal!

Thats exactly what I do with my japs too! It's definetly one of the best things I've ever pulled out of my garden. I put the powder on darn near everytyhing!
I made hot sauce one time and once only. Way too much work for too little yield IMO but it was phenomenal!

I got some pretty cool machines and people who know how to use them....;) Oak barrel on the way. It will be x-mass presents so its worth the extra effort.

Coffee grinder works pretty good at powdering them up...but may make your coffee taste a bit funky.

I have a dedicated coffee grinder only used for spices. Actually, I only have one coffee grinder - I don't drink the stuff.

That looks great, I have tons this year. I'm going to give it a try. I just usually pickle them or make salsa. Is there a certain kind of wood that gives a better flavor.

That looks great, I have tons this year. I'm going to give it a try. I just usually pickle them or make salsa. Is there a certain kind of wood that gives a better flavor.

I like a mix of apple and hickory.

Reactions: jeffoc and ScotO
I have a dedicated coffee grinder only used for spices. Actually, I only have one coffee grinder - I don't drink the stuff.

I know when its milled it is just flour. Good mill kinda salty though.

SmokinJ, trade ya a bottle of my homemade maple syrup for some of that hot stuff!!

SmokinJ, trade ya a bottle of my homemade maple syrup for some of that hot stuff!!

Hmmm. I'm sitting here thinking of what I have to trade.
I wish dog hair, stink bugs, overgrown squash, or freeloading sons were valuable somehow.

Ok here is the final product. This is about 14 gallons of peppers. Final mill and its down to one very solid quart, (Very fine powder)

smoke peppers.jpg

Reactions: Eatonpcat
Status
Not open for further replies.