What is it? Tree ID

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dmitry

Minister of Fire
Oct 4, 2014
CT
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
feels soft . There is a beech branches next to it .

Take a sniff of a fresh bucked up piece ... looks a bit like a young black cherry to my eye.

Reactions: Omaha419
Looks like black birch to me.

Toss-up between cherry and black birch. The smell will have to be the tie-breaker lol

Reactions: JSeery
No smell at all . Feels on a softer side comparing to beech .

The heartwood appears to be cherry.

A lot of water coming from stumps. A LOT. Never saw something like it.

No smell?

Black birch doesn't grow in my area, but that certainty looks more like google images of black birch bark and heartwood than the cherry trees we have around here. I'd have to burn a piece to tell by the smoke aroma. ;)

Googled black birch. looks exactly like mine tree

Googled black birch. looks exactly like mine tree

Cherry and Black Birch are nearly indistinguishable by bark alone. That's why you were asked about the smell. Since you said you didn't notice the wintergreen scent, I'm fairly sure it's a Cherry.

Cherry and Black Birch are nearly indistinguishable by bark alone. That's why you were asked about the smell. Since you said you didn't notice the wintergreen scent, I'm fairly sure it's a Cherry.
No smell

I used to use birch bark to start campfires... if it is birch the bark should peel easy and almost ignite with a lighter and have a decent flame and some black smoke, almost as if it were soaked in oil. birch has a papery bark vs cherry, but all the cherry around me is older so it has a thick layer of bark on it. I am not familiar with young cherry

A lot of water coming from stumps. A LOT. Never saw something like it.

This is another indication of cherry. Generally speaking birches do not have as much moisture content.

Status
Not open for further replies.