What is it?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

candersons5

Jan 9, 2016
Denver
We have a Mendota Seabrook gas insert in the home we just bought (1980's). At the side of the insert are shutter-like metal fronts that seem to have some sort of fan behind them, but we don't see any way to turn them on and do not think that they are wired in in any way to our home. Our fireplace is about a foot and a half wider than the insert, allowing these shutter/fan things to fit in right beside it. We would love to know what they are for and if we can remove them. Also, do they make inserts that are still tall, but wider than standard if we wanted to replace them? I have attached a photo.

Attachments

• 2016-01-09 18.38.37.jpg
    2016-01-09 18.38.37.jpg
    157.8 KB · Views: 197
The fans are there to move some heat into the room. It's very possible they were never wired when installed.

Here is a manual for Mendota FPI. Not sure if it's the correct one for your model, but it looks like the blower is
located UNDER the firebox in the valve cavity. The louvers on either side of you unit look to be a fabrication to
fill the large gaps to either side, & not OEM items. One way to see if there is a hot line run into the fireplace,
without tearing everything out is to check where the gas feed is into it. Many times, the gas line & line feed are run
taped together into the fireplace thru the same hole, just to make the process easier. You will need to measure
the height, width & depth of your fireplace opening to see what size will fit, & take those measurements to a hearth
shop to see what is available.

http://mendotahearth.com/pdfs/manuals/D-30-0109.pdf

The fans are there to move some heat into the room. It's very possible they were never wired when installed.
Thanks for your reply. Do you know if these kinds of fans are still used? I can't seem to find anything like it on the internet I want to replace them with something more attractive.

Thanks for your reply. Do you know if these kinds of fans are still used? I can't seem to find anything like it on the internet I want to replace them with something more attractive.

We don't actually know what kind of fans are behind those grates, but fans are still used in every fireplace stove insert these days.

Here is a manual for Mendota FPI. Not sure if it's the correct one for your model, but it looks like the blower is
located UNDER the firebox in the valve cavity. The louvers on either side of you unit look to be a fabrication to
fill the large gaps to either side, & not OEM items. One way to see if there is a hot line run into the fireplace,
without tearing everything out is to check where the gas feed is into it. Many times, the gas line & line feed are run
taped together into the fireplace thru the same hole, just to make the process easier. You will need to measure
the height, width & depth of your fireplace opening to see what size will fit, & take those measurements to a hearth
shop to see what is available.

http://mendotahearth.com/pdfs/manuals/D-30-0109.pdf
Yes, we actually do have the manual, but couldn't figure out why the extra fans and weird grills. The ones in the insert work just fine. I will probably take out the side ones and build up the brick sides somehow to accommodate just a standard insert. Thanks for the insights. It sounds like whatever they are, they are not necessary.

the fans and louvered grates look like part of the prefabricated wood fireplace the Mendota Insert was installed into (I would guess that your chimney on the exterior or above the roof/chase top is metal?). That fireplace looks similar to a Majestic ESF/ESFII model. If the Mendota's integral fan is working, that is going to be far more effective than the old wood fireplace fans in any event, as they were intended for use when the fireplace was burning wood in its original state. It may also be where they tapped the power supply for the insert, as I do not see a power cord emanating from the unit (again, predicated on the Mendota's fan being operational).

Cheers,

Status
Not open for further replies.