What is it?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jeff_t

Minister of Fire
Sep 14, 2008
SE MI
The piss yellow one I split today, the other one was split in November. It came from a friend of a friend's neighbor(?). No idea what the tree looked like, it was kinda cut up when I got it.

Attachments

• IMG_20110220_114906.jpg
    IMG_20110220_114906.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 314
Red Mulberry.

This stuff is bright yellow when split. Turns a deep brown after a couple weeks in the sun. The bottom side of the brown split is still yellow.

Looks like mulberry to me as well. I was amazed how it turned from bright yellow to deep brown after a short while. Nice wood.

Yup its one of my favs.Quite plentiful around the Midwest & parts of the East & South.Will turn from bright yellow/yellowish orange to golden brown/dark brown in a matter of days/weeks upon exposure to sunlight & air.Great burning,very good heat,can be stubborn to split occasionally & will sometimes throw a few sparks.Well worth the effort though IMO.

I think it is mulberry, but I would have guessed White Mulberry, which seems more common (definitely more common here than Red Mulberry) and gets bigger. I have never seen Black Locust this yellow in color, and definitely not turning reddish after a while like mulberry does.

I need to go get the rest of it. I see that it's still there, along with the rest of the 40"+ ash (which is why I was there in the first place) ;-).

andrewdee said:
pretty sure that's it. just got some last week. Good wood 25.8 mbtu's/cord

That truck can hold some wood! How does it drive like that? Poor mans power steering?

Status
Not open for further replies.