What is max. air outlet temperature so you will not overfire the stove.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bum96

Jan 20, 2008
Central,NY
toast.net
I have a Englander 25-PDVC pellet stove. Tried to call factory and Email support never get through and no reply's to the Email. I bought a accurate magnetic temperature gauge and have it
mounted on the top of the stove where the blower air comes out into the room. What should the max. temperature be so I will not overfire the stove? Right now I slow the pellet feed and inc. the blower speed around 200 deg. F.

Hi! Welcome to the forum!

Mike or Corie from Englander will likely pop in and answer your question tomorrow but until then I'll say that as long as your blower speed setting is equal to or greater than your feed rate setting that you're in no danger of doing any damage to the stove. You wouldn't want to run the stove at a feed rate of say, 7 and a fan speed of 2 for very long but at the same time it does seem that if the blower speed is set too high the stove is less efficient. I usually run mine with equal settings like 5-5.

Hope this helps!

Most of the Pellet stoves has a limit switch that shuts the whole thing down if it gets too hot. I've never heard of anyone over firing a pellet stove.

the unit will not overfire, it has a high limit built into the programming , if it bumps that limit it will stop feeding at the top auger, then start feeding if the unit drops back under that limit quickly enough. if the temp doesnt attenuate swiftly enough , the unit will display an"E-3" code and go into shutdown. as with most all pellet stoves, this feature is present, exhaust temps should not exceed 500 F + ambient due to their design and monitoring systems. advice listed above about keeping the blower speed even or higher than the heat range is good advice, the room fan while moving heat out of the unit helps to keep the unit cooler in the heat exchanger areas as well as dropping stack temp due to proper heat exchange rates. running with the blower below the heat range can lead to overtemp limit and shutdowns. as a note , if an older unit should be suffering from this issue , routine cleaning of the room air blower should correct this problem , simply because if the blower gets plugged up it doesnt move air as effectively. cleaning it out restores it capability to move the required air. as for what the "skin temp" would be in an overtemp situation , i have no idea, but since the unit has ample protection against this happening, it doesnt seem that relevant. i do run the same unit youu are asking about currently (actually its heating my house rigt this minute) running at 3 for heat range and 9 on the blower , the top is hot , but not as hot as you could get a contact burn from it. when i run on low i could sit on the stove as long as i wanted to wearing pants (not brave enough to try it without :) ) the front of the unit however is a different story , its very hot , and will be , but the unit is designed to take that kind of heat , and the glass is rated at 1400F so it can handle all the unit can dish out as well

hope this helps

I would like to thank all of the people who responded to my question.

My pellets this year are a little beat up and I am getting swings in
feed so my temperature swings and I was concerned I would be at
work and the thing would just get out of hand.

I feel more comfortable now letting it get hotter. I am going to try some
of the adjustments I read about in some of the other problems I read about.

tk's again
jerry

Status
Not open for further replies.