What is "mill board"? Local lumberyard never heard of it...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

brider

Jun 13, 2008
New Haven, CT
I thought I asked all these questions before, but I can't find anything:

My Harmon Oakwood manual says the stove requires k=.84 which "is equal to typical .75-inch millboard".

Call to the local lumberyard, they have never heard of it. I thought it was a fairly common substrate for tile, or special wall covering, etc.

There is a link I found on this site for mail-order Micore 300, but it's in 1/2" thick 20-inch widths, so I'd need 2 layers, and with my hearth pad size, I'd need to either scab together patches of 20" pieces, or buy way excess. Rather use the millboard in 1 layer.

Any info on the stuff?

Glowball Worming Bust said:
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/millboard
probly treated with fireproofing too.
I thought it wasn't made with paper at all.. more like drywall made out of asbestos? (though I'm sure it's not asbestos any more..)

Yes, these days it's made out of other minerals or ceramic.

brider said:
I thought I asked all these questions before, but I can't find anything:

My Harmon Oakwood manual says the stove requires k=.84 which "is equal to typical .75-inch millboard".

Call to the local lumberyard, they have never heard of it. I thought it was a fairly common substrate for tile, or special wall covering, etc.

There is a link I found on this site for mail-order Micore 300, but it's in 1/2" thick 20-inch widths, so I'd need 2 layers, and with my hearth pad size, I'd need to either scab together patches of 20" pieces, or buy way excess. Rather use the millboard in 1 layer.

Any info on the stuff?

brider,

on behalf of our entire industry I apologize for the confusion surrounding the k-factor issues often raised in owners manuals. It's an extremely confusing subject and no manufacturer's manual I have ever read makes it any clearer, and I've been doing this for twenty years!

Anyway, suffice to say that all that you need to worry about is a k-factor equivalent to 0.84, or better. You do not need to worry about the actual thickness you end up with. If you use the 1/2" Micore you will meet the requirement since Micore has a k-factor of 0.43. This gives you an R-value of over 1.16. Assuming your mortar and stone have an R-value of at least 0.03 you are good to go since you need an R-value of 1.19 (which is equal to k-factor of 0.84). You could add a piece of sheet metal if you are unsure your mortar and stone has at least R-value of 0.03.

Good luck,

Sean

Sean, thanks for the follow-up.

Since my last post, I re-educated myself on the K/R-factor characteristic, and realized, as you've said, that I only need 1/2" of Micore 300 to meet my needs. My previous conclusion that I needed 2 layers of 1/2" was admittedly wrong, and I hope anyone who read my post and followed my assumptions continued to read and is corrected!

Thanks,

brider

Status
Not open for further replies.