What is most economical?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sportcraft

Jun 18, 2008
Albany, NY
I currently heat my 5 year old 3200 sq foot 2 story colonial with propane hot air. Due to cost I kept the thermostat at 55 degrees all year and burned 600 gallons of propane. If I turn it up to 65 degrees it seems like the furnace kicks on every 20 minutes when it's below 30 degrees outside. I can't even guess how much propane I would use if I kept it a 70 degrees. Ths year I am considering other options. This website is awesome but now I am more confused than ever. I have unlimited wood, but it's mostly soft wood (pine and poplar). There is some hard wood. I can pick up a woodmaster 4400 for around 5,000. I have also considered a wood stove in my family room to burn every night to bring my temp up above 55 degrees. BUT THERE HAS BEEN SOME MENTION OF HEAT PUMPS which I am not familiar with. To put a wood stove in the house will cost me about $3500-$4000 in materials. I figure a OWF will be about 7-8k in materials. And it seems that the gassification boiler are more costly and complicated. Any thoughts would be great. I could alwasy just keep buying propane..........Thanks Tony

I started a page on my site designed to address a lot of the questions that you raise, along with the choices that I made in heading down this path. It's not complete, but maybe it will help a bit. It's at http://www.nofossil.org/background.html

There are lots of tradeoffs that you have to make, and no one can tell you what's best for you in your situation. I think you'll find a general preference here for gasifiers, mostly because they're so clean and efficient compared to the other choices. They are a bit more complex at first, but they're quite civilized overall.

Status
Not open for further replies.