What is Pellet Vent chimney?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gdeangel

Oct 19, 2009
NE Ohio
As a novice, I am confused about the different types of chimney pipes out there, and what the clearance requirements are...

so what is the difference between Class A & Class L chimney pipe, and why do you need Class L for pellet burning applications? Also, seems like Class A lets you have 2" to combustibles... is it the same for Class L?

I've also seen a few references to double wall pipe that requires greater clearances like 6" - I'm assuming that those are for use in place of single wall pipe where 18" of clearance isn't possible... and that they are completely different from double wall class A chimney pipe? Do I have this right?

Any help understanding this is appreciated. THanks

Class A (listed to 103HT) is all fuel pipe (wood, pellet, coal, gas, oil, etc.) and has a MAXIMUM clearance-to-combustibles of 2" (some have tested there's and have lower CTC's). It is usually double wall with ceramic insulation, or triple wall with air insulation.

Type L Vent is for lower heat applications such as oil, pellet, or gas appliances and usually has anywhere from 3"-1" CTC depending on manufacturer. It is double wall, but only has a very small air gap (~1.4").

Double Wall Black pipe is all fuel, but can only be used in the immediate room that the appliance is in, before breaching a wall or ceiling you must transition to Class A. It has different CTC's depending on manufacturer, but most are 8". Most have a Stainless Steel inner flue.

Single Wall Black pipe is not tested for CTC and therefore has the generic 18" rating. Most are just galvanized steel and is relatively cheap.

Reactions: Anti
That really helps a lot, thanks for the information.

Just to make sure I've understood correctly, it sounds like with a pellet stove you can use Class A or Class L (Class L sounds less expensive) once you breach a wall or ceiling, and before that, it's a question of clearance whether to use single or double wall black pipe...

Where you breach the wall, even with a Class A / L with a low CTC, I would need to also be adding a thimble (?) to create a gap between the pipe and the combustible wall material. Are there different thimbles manufactured for the particular CTC of a certain pipe (e.g., if your using a 1" CTC Class A, is there a thinner thimble than if you have a 2" CTC Class A?)

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.