What is range of chimney sweep/inspection fees?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TANSTAF1

Nov 29, 2009
South Shore MA
As you can tell from the number of post, I am a noobie and basically clueless.

I have a 2 story house built in the early 1930's that has an interior chimney for the gas furnace and an exterior one for a fireplace. They are all brick, no liner.

Recently a large bird bird perched on the furnace one and knocked some bricks off the cap. A few years ago a raccoon nested in the fireplace one, but we had the ivy taken down and she has not been back. We have not used the fireplace since we bought it 25 years ago.

As we needed to get the cap fixed, we had a mason come and he looked at them from inside at the bottom and said they were OK, did not need a liner and got quotes for $625 each to put flues at the top and add a new cap around them. Adding a metal cap above was another $50 each.

In my other threads people have recommended that I should get a chimney sweep to look at them. Neither has ever been swept. not a problem for the fireplace one as we never use it, and as for the furnace one I did not think a chimney for a gas furnace needed to be - although the furnace was also here before we bought so it cannot be considered high tech).

Anyway I called the two closest CSIA chimney sweeps. One quoted $125 to look and that could be applied to a $250 sweep fee (for 1 chimney) if done at the same time. The fee for the 2nd was $180.

The next one wanted $85 for look see which again could be applied to their $169 sweep fee, with the 2nd one being another $129.

Interestingly a telemarketer called last night and offered to sweep the furnace chimney for $69. I asked if they were a CSIA member and hung up when they said they had not heard about the CSIA.

I understand there are three levels of NFPA inspections.

What is a reasonable price range for a level II inspection? Nowadays, do they always include a video inspection?

What is a reasonable price range for a chimney sweep for 1 or 2 chimneys?

What is the reasonable price range to replace a few missing bricks and put a flue on the top of a chimney and add a metal cap?

The guy I use charges $150 per sweep.

"$169 sweep fee, with the 2nd one being another $129" is about what I paid this year.

out in western ma, the sweep fee is $150.

Status
Not open for further replies.