What is that stuff?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

skinnykid

May 6, 2008
Next to a lake in NH
That people spray on their wood stack to keep insect out?

I do see alot of daddy long legs on my wood. Probably not a problem but don't want other critters making a condo complex out of my hard work.

thanks!

Snow?

philaphire said:
sevin - although I have yet to do it!

So I assume it is ok to burn since it will be on my fire wood and being burnt in my stove.

do a thread search and see what people's experience is - I've never sprayed. BB is right, snow takes care of the bugs and in a few weeks you won't see them anymore with or without insecticide!

ya I am just wondering about when I get cutting and stacking next spring. Don't want my stuff getting invaded all summer..

BB is too quick, lol.

Personally I wouldn't want to spray pesticides or anything else on my woodpile.
Remember they eat the yucky bugs you wouldn't want around.

I found this that maybe you could try? Maybe spray it around the pile and not on it? Especially since it involves using oils, only a drop, yet still I would not want any oil on there.

Spiders:

Citronella Oil, Lavender Oil, Cinnamon Oil, Peppermint Oil, Citrus Oil, Tea Tree Oil: Drop one drop of any of these oils into one quart of water and use as a spray to keep spiders away.

White Vinegar and Coconut Oil: Mix a solution of five percent white vinegar and one teaspoon of coconut oil and spray where you have cobwebs.

I wouldn't worry about its not like the bug are going to turn your stack of wood into dust. Besides they will
be dormant or dead when you burn it.

no man said:
...Besides they will
be dormant or dead when you burn it.

Undoubtedly the latter. Rick

Use Sevin with a bit of caution-it is deadly to bee`s. And the bee`s are already dying off from virus`s. Plain old borax will be just as effective if you are really that worried about the bugs.

Easy answer is to just look the other way. The bugs won't hurt, but the spray will. Let Nature take her course whenever possible and spraying just won't get it.

skinnykid said:
philaphire said:

So I assume it is ok to burn since it will be on my fire wood and being burnt in my stove.
it has a risdual of 30 days

I mixed up a strong solution of TSP and water. Sprayed it on an ant infested stack of red oak and hickory. It has been a month and I have not seen an ant or spider yet. When I burn the wood the TSP will help to keep the pipes clean.And I don't think the TSP is going to poison my family.
Mike

mtarbert said:
I mixed up a strong solution of TSP and water. Sprayed it on an ant infested stack of red oak and hickory. It has been a month and I have not seen an ant or spider yet. When I burn the wood the TSP will help to keep the pipes clean.And I don't think the TSP is going to poison my family.
Mike

TSP the cleaning stuff for walls?? That stuff is expensive!

smokinj said:
skinnykid said:
philaphire said:

it has a risdual of 30 days

Wonder what fossil`s residual is after he leaves? :lol:

i like beuggs they give an extra couple 1,000 btu to a cord when burned properly. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.