what is the average burn times for you guys

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sepulvd

Dec 27, 2014
Oak harbor, wa
I am trying to see if am doing everything Icorrect. currently I get maybe 3-4 hrs on a full load on my fisher insert onc ei get the fire fully going I usally put my damper in the 3rd notch and the air inlets half closed. should I be closing both completey. might be a dumb question but if I close everything how would the fire stay on.

If you close them tight and it still burns, the door seal is leaking air in. Make sure the back of doors and seal channel is clean or buff with wire wheel for good metal to metal contact in the three places the door seal makes contact on back of doors. Worn hinges or pins and improper door latch rod adjustment can cause leakage.
With hard wood you should have a good pile of coals after 8 to 10 hours, maybe more depending on chimney and flue. Sounds like you're burning soft woods? Fuel across the country makes a huge difference, so it's difficult to compare with others. We don't burn any soft wood here with an abundance of tall oaks, and after 24/7 burning a few days the coals tend to pile up so much you can only load about half on the pile, so it needs to be raked around and burned down a few hours. So every few days instead of loading in the morning, we can burn the pile down and reload 3 PM or later. That is the larger stoves like Papa, and Insert. We can also remove ash from the front where it burns down overnight and rake the pile of coals and charcoal from the back ahead. It takes right off and load on top o fit. This way we never have to leave it go out to clean ash.
What is your flue diameter, with or without liner, baffle or none? That is what determines damper position.

I load 5 to 6 splits of oak in my Grandma Bear and get around 10 hours burn time. Depending on conditions the dampers are set 1/4 to 1/2 open.

John

Status
Not open for further replies.