What is the average $ cost of a cord of wood in your area?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bogydave

Minister of Fire
Dec 4, 2009
So Cent ALASKA
Here in Wasilla Alaska area:
Split/seasoned:
$250 for birch,
$200 birch/spruce mix but they don't say how much spruce
Delivery sometimes extra.

We can get 10 cords long length trees, you cut & split about $100 to $125 /cord. ($1,000.00 & up)
(looking for cheaper on this one, sounds high$ )

I did that years ago, seemed to get about 9 cords when cut & split. (was $550 then) {forgot when then was :) }
normal?

As long as you don't expect to have burnable wood without seasoning it I'd say 150-180 is the going rate for mixed hardwoods.

$135- $180 for Oak around here c/s/d, I've seen less for rounds or cut your own load on Craigs list.

150-200 in north central NJ

Not enough savings for me to drive 7,000 miles round trip for yet. :)

Around here the Boston burbs its averaging 300 a cord for split and delivered (no stacking). I see craigslist ads in the city asking that much for a face cord.

Neighbor gets green rounds delivered direct from the mill for under 150/cord - 3 cord minimum. I've got to get in on that....

Because of the Emerald ash borer,the bulk of the wood I see for sale is Ash ranging from $40 - $55 a face cord.Assuming the wood is cut to about 16" that would work out to $120 - $165 per full cord ,delivery extra.

We consistently have guys on Craigslist here selling for $35/fc pickup. The bigger companies want $60 to $75 delivered.

I have not seen good hardwood in the $35 - $40 per face-cord range in many years which shows how hard times are and that wood heat is a true bargain at the present moment .If it wasn't for the fact that I have close to 200 dead Ash trees on my 5 acre wood lot that I'm trying to clean up before they fall over and make a huge mess I would be buying up some of this affordable wood.

It would seem that it is only a matter of time before EAB hits here. While I hate to see the loss of timber, it makes for an ideal scrounging environment. Even at $35/fc, I have no problem justifying scrounging. Just wouldn't sell it for that. How is that for logic.

Makes perfect sense to me because once EAB hits your area the woodlots will be devastated making scrounging so much easy-er.If possible store as much as you have room for while the getting is good.

Varies, up here I've seen $150 c/s/d. Seen as high as $200. I paid $175 for c/s/d and very well seasoned last year, bought 4 cords.
I bought 12 cord(60,000lbs) of rock maple and beech. $95 delivered tree length. Incredibly nice wood. Nothing over 12 inches round(maybe a couple of trees). Bought it in late feb/1st of march. did not see a spec of dirt. No joke, it was incredibly clean. Touched up saw every 3 tanks, and didn't have to work to hard at doing that. Stacked up to 10 cord. Which is what i figured it would. If i'd bought mixed hardwood, would have been more cord stacked, but would not have been as high btu.

Here in Ulster County,NY a cord of mostly oak and maple is around $175 -200. That's what I gathered from friends who purchased their firewood. My firewood is 100% scrounged.

$150-$180/cord hardwoods split and delivered here. ash borer is in the next county- about 30 miles from me. I've been careful not to move any ash because of it. I have 4 ash trees in my front yard so I think it's only a matter of time- when it happens I'll probably turn from a scrounger into somebody asking for a scrounger since I live in the city and won't have room to store it all :(

Here on Prince Edward Island it's around $160 - $200 c/s/d for seasoned hardwood and around $110 for 8ft lengths.Softwood runs about $120 - $140 c/s/d.

My wood guy charges 45 bucks for a truck load. I didn't need any from him this year,cause i have enough scrounged. he delivers in a f150 and manages to get well over a facecord in there. if i had to guess i'd say i'm paying 45 for 1.5 face cords cut split delivered and stacked right by the house. it's partially seasoned at the beginning of the winter he generally does the entire load the same day he brings it. i wouldn't buy it by the truckload from anyone else, but i know him pretty well as i work with him. he doesn't pretend its seasoned, but it's generally oak and the like and doesn't understand why i care. he just says whether he thinks it will be harder to get it started or not. once brought a load over and wouldn't charge me because it wasn't good oak.

moral: good wood guys are hard to find. i pay mine more than he asks and gave him a christmas "bonus" last year. now he's out for the season for carpal tunnel surgery.

True story; Add in the Cape Cod Times yesterday,

Firewood:
128 cuft -seasoned $350
384 cuft-seasoned $999
384 cuft-forest fresh $829

The other dealers in the area are very close in price, one I know charges $400 for cut split delivered locust.

bogydave said:
Not enough savings for me to dry 7,000 miles round trip for yet. :)
is that a wink or a nod?

I'm a tad closer to you and I paid $1200 CDN for a 12 cord load of logs. Fuel surcharge would probably still be too prohibitive.

Green $175-$200 c/s/d, "seasoned" or "dry" $250-$300 c/s/d

around here it's kinda funny, you get some guys offering $55-60 per face cord and add $10 if you wanted it delivered, and then there's 3 pretty good sized outfits that sell loads a $745-$760 for 10 pulp cords of maple, beech, or oak delivered! you can guess where everyone buys their wood!

LLigetfa said:
bogydave said:
Not enough savings for me to dry 7,000 miles round trip for yet. :)
is that a wink or a nod?

I'm a tad closer to you and I paid $1200 CDN for a 12 cord load of logs. Fuel surcharge would probably still be too prohibitive.

Supposed to be a smile:)

Hardwood or spruce??

That & border regulations. Imperial gallon would confuse the fuel surcharge issue anyway :)
At least it's not as high $ as Dune says in Cape cod. $350 :bug:
(It's even tuff for horse farms here to get hay through, unless you are a commercial carrier.)

I'll keep looking for a long load this summer.
I enjoy the cutting. Will enjoy the splitting when I get a Hydraulic splitter.
Will still be cheaper than Natural gas. :)

StackedLumber said:
around here it's kinda funny, you get some guys offering $55-60 per face cord and add $10 if you wanted it delivered, and then there's 3 pretty good sized outfits that sell loads a $745-$760 for 10 pulp cords of maple, beech, or oak delivered! you can guess where everyone buys their wood!

What's a "pulp cord"?

log length, I think.
Delivery is in logs, you cut.
Typically you have to buy more than 1 cord (10 normal here in AK)

Status
Not open for further replies.