What is the average life of file ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dmitry

Minister of Fire
Oct 4, 2014
CT
I always enjoy to sharpen with files out of the box , then it gets worse and not so much fun.
For how long do you guys use your files ? Is there any tricks to refresh/ clean them?

Reactions: Adios Pantalones
I used to get half a dozen chains with a Stihl file but that's when I waited until the chain was dull. You're supposed to file every tankful or maybe every other tank with a light 'touch-up'. If you're doing that, my guess is 12-20 filings. Some people file way too heavy and it won't last long. You can clean a file with a wire brush but I never did.

We've been getting 10-15 filings per for an 18" bar. The files are supposedly high quality and tend to last longer when used lightly.

I have a file card but haven't used it for round files.

Files only cut on the away stroke so do not drag it backwards through the cut as this will dull it. also use some chalk or similar material on the file teeth prior to use. this will help prevent filings from becoming stuck. get a file card ( looks like a small wire brush) for cleaning out the chips that might become stuck. following this your file will last longer. Oh and one more thing hang it up or create a tube for it so it doesn't get banged around by other tools which will mash the teeth and dull it out.

I used to use stihl files and they lasted forever. Then I started using oregon files and they were junk. Now I grind but I need some more stihl files for touch ups.

Files only cut on the away stroke so do not drag it backwards through the cut as this will dull it. also use some chalk or similar material on the file teeth prior to use. this will help prevent filings from becoming stuck. get a file card ( looks like a small wire brush) for cleaning out the chips that might become stuck. following this your file will last longer. Oh and one more thing hang it up or create a tube for it so it doesn't get banged around by other tools which will mash the teeth and dull it out.
General consensus in the machining/metalworking industry (where files are most often used) is that file cards are a gimmick that do more harm than good.

Just like back-dragging a file can chip the cutting edge of the teeth on the file, a file card can also. It also doesn't function well to get the gunk & filings stuck down in the grooves.

So what is the better solution? Good ole American hardwood. Huh? Wood? Yup, you heard that right, wood. But how does that work?

Clamp a piece of wood in a vice with a fresh, clean end-grain cut sticking up. With a flat file you just slide the file over the edge of the end-grain, with the movement of the file and the teeth parallel to the wood grain. What will happen is that over the peaks of the teeth the wood grain will collapse out of the way, yet in the valley's it will remain, and the edge of the wood will form a perfectly matched profile to the file teeth. The wood is just strong enough that it scrapes out the gunk, but weak enough that it won't damage the teeth.

With a round file it's a bit more challenging as you have to rotate the file on the edge of the wood block. I have found that using a drill works quite well...

Here is a video of a guy doing something similar with copper (still significantly softer than the file so little damage is done):

Last edited:
Reactions: Adios Pantalones
I use them until I need to stop at the Stihl dealer for something else and see some and think "boy, those dull files suck".

I agree- it's a cheap way to make yourself happy. Fresh files, fresh sandpaper, new socks and underwear. Simple pleasures.

Reactions: firefighterjake
I like the wood on file trick. Thanks for that.

And for the record: I get sad when I have to throw out well worn underwear.

Lol, I wait until I can fit at least a silver dollar through the holes then it's time to let them ago; alas, their life isn't over yet. They get cut in half and washed 1 more time and used as rags in the garage...

I like the wood on file trick. Thanks for that.

That's because by that time it has grown on you in a literal sense.

Seinfeld said that guys don't throw out underwear- eventually they open the window and it leaves as a vapor.

Status
Not open for further replies.