What is the Best Class A Insulated Chimney Pipe?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mminor

Sep 11, 2015
Long Island NY
Hello,

I've been researching 8-inch Class A insulated stainless steel chimney pipes and the number of brands and models is absolutely overwhelming.

My situation calls for a 30-35 feet straight-shot chimney pipe located on the outside of our NY house (cold, cold, cold - blah!). Thanks to you guys, I will insulate the crap out of the chase. But I'm still super concerned about backdrafting (like others in my situation have reported) when going to light a fire from a cold start since the fire won't be going 24/7. I'm reaching out to you guys for recommendations for which Class A stainless steel chimney pipe(s) are best at insulation and heat retention.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Matt

I recently installed a straight 30+ foot, 8" chimney, used double wall inside the house, then class A once we got to the attic and through the roof..
I used Ventis and could'nt be any more pleased,,,,,,,,,very well packaged...

I did my install this past fall and used duraplus, mainly because I already had 12' of it, but I don't have anything bad to say about it. Worked for me, was easy enough to put together and does the job.

It's an exterior run. I think that coupled with installing my stove with a rear exit is why I have some days where I get a pretty good downdraft. What I've found is get heat as close to the flue exit as possible initially. I start my fires almost exclusively top down and have on occasion used a plumbing torch to push some heat into the chimney. Reverses pretty quick and doesn't give me any problems after that, in fact maintains a good draft for while even if I let it die down and go cold. When it's really cold out, less than 30 it seems, I have no problems and can just light it without worry.

I can't see you having any issues with 30+ feet of chimney as long as it's high enough (2 feet higher than anything within 10 feet IIRC)

Ventis and Excel are premium chimneys with good reputations.

I always use ventis and have been very happy with it. Duraplus is a budget line it is triple wall with half the insulation that regular double wall insulated chimney has. It also has a larger outside diameter than double wall. For those reasons and several others i would not recommend it. All class a chimney systems are tested to the same standards and they are all about the same when it comes to safety. The difference is in the fit and finish and the availability of a variety of components for different situations. Ventis and Excel are in my opinion the best ones out now.

I've got excel and you can just tell that it's higher quality then some of the other brands. The fit and finish is very nice.

Of course it isn't cheap at all but I didn't know that until afterwards and I found someone saying that excel is like the Mercedes of stove pipe.

I always use ventis and have been very happy with it. Duraplus is a budget line it is triple wall with half the insulation that regular double wall insulated chimney has. It also has a larger outside diameter than double wall. For those reasons and several others i would not recommend it. The difference is in the fit and finish and the availability of a variety of components for different situations. Ventis and Excel are in my opinion the best ones out now.

All class a chimney systems are tested to the same standards and they are all about the same when it comes to safety.

Help me understand something that may be usefull to others. Class A pipe in Canada seems to have a higher rating for time during a chimney fire, 20 min. as opposed to 10 for U.S. pipe I think that's the right numbers. What's the difference between the two other than the times?

Perhaps there could be a recommendation for some good quality economical chimney pipe for all those average guys like me. For a past install I've used Supervent by Selkirk from Menards/Lowes. What would be the difference between this product and a high end chimney?

Help me understand something that may be usefull to others. Class A pipe in Canada seems to have a higher rating for time during a chimney fire, 20 min. as opposed to 10 for U.S. pipe I think that's the right numbers. What's the difference between the two other than the times?
Honestly most of the pipe here is the same pipe that is sold in Canada. They just do 2 separate tests on it. Many chimneys are labeled both ul and ulc.

Honestly most of the pipe here is the same pipe that is sold in Canada. They just do 2 separate tests on it. Many chimneys are labeled both ul and ulc.
Ok, thanks. I was under the impression Canadian pipe was thicker.

Perhaps there could be a recommendation for some good quality economical chimney pipe for all those average guys like me. For a past install I've used Supervent by Selkirk from Menards/Lowes. What would be the difference between this product and a high end chimney?
I dont work with excell but i can tell you ventis is much easier to work with than any of the cheaper stuff i have used. One big difference is that ventis has welded seams on the inside pipe and the outside pipe. Most of the cheaper pipe has crimped seams that can leak and allow water to get to the insulation.

Reactions: bioman
There may be some that is but not that i know of. I know ventis is exactly the same here and in canada

Reactions: zig
Well thanks showr you are pretty close to us also.

I've never used DuraPlus but have used DuraTech on several installations. Never had an issue with fit or leaks.

I bought my Selkirk Supervent pipe from Menards last fall. The first shipment came damaged and had to be replaced. It was packed with US labeling on the cartons. When they sent me the replacement it had Canadian labeling on it. Same exact pipe with different labeling.

I bought http://www.mtlfab.com and have no complaints. 8 inch class a double wall stainless steel insulated on the oustide of the house, double wall black pipe inside.

I only have experience with the Ventis with the 316 liner. So far, so good and I can hook any sort of heating device up to it if things change in the future.

Hello everyone.

I originally started this post and I want to thank everyone for their advice, opinions and valuable insight. Your information is exactly what I was looking for and super helpful to me.

You guys make hearth.com a special place. Thanks again for all your help.

Matt

Re-reading the original questions:
My chimney is 26ft, 20ft of which is outside, 6ft in a cold attic, and straight up except for a couple 45s inside. Location - Wisconsin, -30 more than a few times. Heat retention - when the stack thermometer reads 750 I can still put my hand on the outside of the class A pipe (selkirk metalbestos). Back drafting - only when there is a temperature inversion outside, but generaly never because of cold outside temps.
Also if possible, look into getting a stack thermometer. It won't improve draft, but as long as you're in the market for piping, it wouldn't hurt to take a look. To me it would be a real handicap not having one. The limit on the stainless chimney is 1000degF continous, and the thermometer is 200-1000.
www.teltru.com/p-272-big-green-egg-primo-komodo-grill-dome-or-other-kamado-style-replacement-thermometer-lt225r-5-inch-stem-2001000-degrees-f.aspx

Status
Not open for further replies.