What is the best insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ctd01

Oct 25, 2011
ct
I just bought a 1300 sqft ranch and It has a fireplace on in the living room. What would be the best insert for me? I aint looking to break the bank but I dont want junk either. I woud like some good burn times aso atleast 6 hours Thanks Paul

Impossible to say without some more information Paul. Is this a masonry or prefab fireplace? We also need to know the complete fireplace dimensions including top and bottom H + W + D front and rear. It would also be helpful to know if there is nearby woodwork and if there is a combustible mantel. Pictures always are welcome.

I just bought a 1300 sqft ranch and It has a fireplace on in the living room. What would be the best insert for me? I aint looking to break the bank but I dont want junk either. I woud like some good burn times aso atleast 6 hours Thanks Paul

You'll hafta give us a little more info. Is your FP built in place or is it a factory built? What are the dimensions (H, W & D? Is there a mantle or a mantle shelf? Is the hearth raised or flush? How high is the chimney?
If you can post a pic or two of the existing unit that can help us as well...
There are no real standards to which fireplaces were/are built, so one manufacturer's insert may fit while another's may not. Also, ranch houses are notoriously difficult to heat evenly with wood, unless you can figure out how to move the heated air sideways.

I have a High Valley insert. I heated my whole 2500ish sqft first floor this winter with the 2500 model, they also have a 1500 model. I think the 2500 model is around $2400ish new. I can get 24 hour burns in shoulder season. In the winter it will go 10-12 hours bwtween loads.

Hard to tell for sure from that pic, but another concern might be the hearth extension dimension from the front face of the insert. Rick

ETA: We could also use some info on the flue/chimney. How tall from the fireplace to daylight, and what are the interior dimensions of the flue, is it completely lined with tile, what kind of shape's it in, has it been inspected by a professional sweep?

Ok inside height is 28 inches 38 inches wide and 23 inches deep. Hearth sticks out aprox 15 inches after the fireplace opening.

Looks like the FP is at one end of the house,. What's the layout & flow through the rest of it? A floor plan (I'm the floor plan gal !!) would be most helpful here.

Welcome to the forums !!!

Oh, and how is your wood supply? If none, get cranking on it !! If started, good job !!!

Nice house !!!

Got round 7 cord. Moisture meter says it's between 13 and 15. What do you mean flow? Yea fireplace in living room bedrooms are on other end of the house. Thanks.

Got round 7 cord. Moisture meter says it's between 13 and 15. What do you mean flow? Yea fireplace in living room bedrooms are on other end of the house. Thanks.

Flow means air flow..... walls in the way of warm/cold air moving through out the house, etc. It takes time for the warm air to find the spots (and for the interior of the house to warm up & hold the heat) , and once it does, with a good "loop" of air flow, you've got constant flow of warm air. Often with the help of a well placed fan or two.

Like I said, a floor plan (stick drawn is fine) would help alot.

What is your budget for this? If you have a liner installed you are looking at around $1500 for liner installation + stove. Figure at least $1500 for the insert.

You can get the Osburn 2000 (2.3 cu ft firebox) for about $1700:
http://woodstoves.net/osburn/wood/2000-Insert.htm

You can get the Napoleon 1402 (2.25 cu ft firebox) for, probably, about the same price:
http://woodstoves.net/napoleon/wood/1402.htm

The Pacific Energy Super insert (1.97 cu ft firebox) for about $2200:
http://www.chimneysweeponline.com/pacsupins.htm

The Pacific Energy T5 (2 cu ft firebox) insert for about $3000
http://www.chimneysweeponline.com/pact5ins.htm

I can install liner myself just did a bit more complex install at my parents house. As far as money goes its not a real big factor I mean I dont wana spend over $3500 on the insert alone but I want a real good unit. I was also looking at the blaze king princess. Any good?

I can install liner myself just did a bit more complex install at my parents house. As far as money goes its not a real big factor I mean I dont wana spend over $3500 on the insert alone but I want a real good unit. I was also looking at the blaze king princess. Any good?
Everyone seems to like the Princess insert. Burn times that Blaze King list seem accurate based on user reports here.

Reactions: Hiram Maxim
1300 sq ft... and ain't looking to break the bank? The Princess seems a bit of overkill, given the criteria. Have you looked at a Buck 20?

1300 sq ft... and ain't looking to break the bank? The Princess seems a bit of overkill, given the criteria. Have you looked at a Buck 20?
I could have sworn that I saw a lot of posts that talked about the Princess and the Chinook working best in a 1500 sq ft home. 1300 is pretty close. But, I could be wrong.

It has a T-Stat, nothing about it would be overkill! ;)
+ better to have higher heat capacity and not need it than have lower and wish You had it.
My house is 2120 sqft and the BK King gets to run slow n low= less fill ups and long burn times.
I could have easily gotten away with the Princess with my sqft

And the 30 NC is just a placeholder? ;)

I could have sworn that I saw a lot of posts that talked about the Princess and the Chinook working best in a 1500 sq ft home. 1300 is pretty close. But, I could be wrong.

It should work, but I think the Buck 20 will also for a lot less $$.

Buck 20 is around 2600. I got a price of 3100out the door for the bk. If I am spending 2600 for lower burn times its worth it to me to just spend the extra 500.

Your setup sounds very similar to my old house, except that my stove was in the basement and the entrance was on the far side of the house. I had massive air leaks that pulled all the heat right out of the house. My furnace ran constantly. I oversized my insert (2.5cuft) and was happy with that decision. After the first winter, I got tired of crawling through my attic and had the entire thing spray foamed. The results were instantly noticeable. The gas bill came way down and the house was much more comfortable and we even turned the thermostat up a couple degrees. The insert could also do the heavy lifting and the furnace didn't run.

As was mentioned, a couple well placed fans will help distribute the heat. Expect the farthest rooms to be a little cooler though.

Status
Not open for further replies.