What is the best location for pellet stove insert install

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bobb0815

Sep 29, 2008
Ct
I am purchasing a pellet stove fireplace insert. My question is, where is the best place to install it? Basement or 1st floor. I live in a 1200sf 2 bedroom solid brick ranch with a 1/2 finished basement. We have forced hot water heating using oil. The radiators (cast iron) on the first floor are recessed into the walls. Both the basement and 1st fl have large fireplaces. So looking to see if the basement or 1st floor is best location to install and save oil.

My original thought was to install the pellet stove on the first floor which is used more (60/40) then the basement, but I'm concerned about the piping for the radiators on the 1st fl which extend into the basement walls (brick). If I place the stove on the first floor and all goes to plan, the stove may prevent the the need for radiator heat for extended periods. Can't that lead to frozen pipes? Thus, I'm also thinking of putting the unit in the basement and avoid this concern but most advise that this will not do much to heat the rest of the house (fireplace is in the finished area) or save money. Only connection between floors is the stairway.
So please give your opinions

/BB

Generally, the stove should be placed in the area that is used the most.

I agree, put it where you spend most of your time (1st floor, especially if that is where your kitchen and bedrooms are) But wherever you put it is where you WILL spend your time in the winter.

If you are looking to save $$ on oil the you want to use the pellet stove to heat the space instead of oil, you don't want that boiler to kick on.

If your basement is below ground it probably won't get below freezing. I'm in CT and my below grade basement never gets below about 50 degrees. Outside wall piping may be different, it gets a lot colder. You'd need to examine you particular setup.

I agree on using the stove where we will occupy the most, but that is where the thermostat is also. Yes, the radiator pipes are on the outside wall. So, you don't think there is a need for concern of the recessed radiator pipes freezing?

Status
Not open for further replies.