What is the best saftey equipment to have around in case of a chimney fire?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
There must be a good cheap non corrosive fire extingusher about. Some people say smoother it in baking soda. well thats fairly inexpensive. Any other suggestions? This is maybe one of the items that people over look until its too late.. I'm just trying to look ahead and be safety conscious..

Good post, Look forward to answers,

We have several ABC rated fire extinguishers in the house, not just for the wood stove. And we have a few smoke detectors in strategic locations. But knowing that we have a good flue system burning good wood in a good stove, I don't lose a lot of sleep over this. Baking soda close by is a good start.

Here are some links to threads where this has been discussed:

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/12185/
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/17943/
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/10326/

The best saftey equipment for a chimney fire is a TELEPHONE! Don't open up the stove!!! Shut the stove DOWN ASAP! Cut off all intake to it and let it go out. If the freight train doesn't stop CALL the fire dept. It's better than losing your house.

The best way to be prepared is to make sure the chimney is clean and the wood is dry!

A bucket of ashes.

Back in the day we had a few chimney fires and threw ashes on the fire in an effort to smother it. Done.

savageactor7 said:
A bucket of ashes.

Back in the day we had a few chimney fires and threw ashes on the fire in an effort to smother it. Done.

How did that work? you climb on the roof and dump them down the chimney?... When there is a chimney fire, the chimney itself is the fire, extinguishing the stove will not solve the problem.

I have a chimney fire extinguisher hanging by my stove. It looks like a road flair, you start it up like a flair and throw it in the fire box. Reading the box it take all the air away from the fire to put it out.

I run a brush through my chimney at least once a month, last winter I was cleaning my chimney every two weeks, I don't think I seasoned my wood near enough. I hope I am way ahead of that problem this year.

^never the less people have been doing that since theres been wood stoves...and it works.

Your chimney needs air from below to continue to burn the creosote. Your best bet is to try and stop that air flow and then be ready to pack up your photo albums. Seriously, the one time we had a freak hail storm and I thought my chimney was on fire I slammed down the primary air to zero and began looking for my kids.

You installed an outdoor air kit right? On my stove, assuming yours too, ALL air for combustion is taken in through that pipe. Figure out a way to obstruct that air path and the chimney fire will be starved for air. If you have a metal duct to your stove for the OAK, then stomp on it to smash it closed. Or if you thought ahead, you could configure a mechanical shutter for it.

If you had a flue damper, the keyway style, I would close that too. The fire in the firebox is not the culprit.

Gator eye said:
I have a chimney fire extinguisher hanging by my stove. It looks like a road flair, you start it up like a flair and throw it in the fire box. Reading the box it take all the air away from the fire to put it out.

I still have one of these as well. They are no longer available. It seems that the factory burned down (no joke).

As a firefighter and former woodstove user (and now a "Born Again Woodburner" as of Monday) I can tell you how some firefighters extinguish fires and you can make the call . . . "the call" being what you will do and how far you will choose to go.

As mentioned, the two most important things to do if you suspect you have a chimney fire . . . 1) Close down the stove as much as possible and 2) Call 911. The first step will choke the fire and the second step means professional help is on the way . . . as I often mention in classes . . . you may end up not needing the fire department, but it's always easier to get us on the way and then call us back and let us know you are all set and were able to extinguish the fire rather than not wanting to get us up out of bed/let the neighbors know you have a chimney fire/etc. and not call us until the fire is beginning to extend beyond the chimney.

Calling 911 early on is important . . . important if you live where I work in a City like Bangor . . . but really, really important when you live where I live in the country (Unity) since it takes us volunteers a little longer to get from our home to the fire station and then from the fire station to your home vs. going down the pole and driving to your home as a full-time firefighter.

Also worth mentioning . . . nearly every chimney fire I have been to has almost always been in a home where the homeowner failed to perform some routine inspection and cleaning of their chimneys. Checking your chimney once or twice a month is a good habit to get into . . . maybe even a bit more if your wood isn't completely seasoned. As a rule we encourage folks to sweep their chimneys if there is a 1/4 inch or more of creosote . . . but honestly, even then it isn't that big a deal to us . . . as I said, most chimney fires we go to are at the point where the chimney is nearly or totally blocked by creosote (on more than one occasion we need to use weighted chains to break through the creosote since it is so bad) -- we're talking folks that are very, very negligent in most cases rather than folks who failed to check their chimney two weeks before. Obviously there are exceptions, but as a rule it almost always seems to be that chimney fires are a result of bad habits . . . there is also another unwritten rule . . . all chimney fires usually occur at 1 a.m. in middle of a January blizzard with the temps around - 15 degrees and the wind howling at something like 20 mph . . . and the chimney can only be accessed by going up on a steep-metal roof. :)

In answer to your first question . . . any ABC-rated extinguisher is good. If you have a clean-out (such as can be found in a masonry chimney) open it up and give it a good blast. Usually the draft will carry the powder up and extinguish the fire.

An even simpler technique frequently practiced by us rural firefighters is to open the clean-out and if there is a bed of hot ashes/creosote to flick a bit of water on it (about a tablespoon or three). The water hits the hot ash/creosote and converts to steam. Steam expands and is drawn up the chimney. Honestly, this works in 9 out of 10 times we try it . . . the key is to not dump massive amounts of water into the chimney as steam expands a lot and too much too quickly can result in a ruined chimney. I've never tried the wet newspaper idea, but have heard of folks using that idea as well.

If you're on the roof you can also drop or sprinkle baking soda (we often use powder from old fire extinguishers in baggies -- we call them chimney bombs) down the chimney.

I have also heard of folks using flares or similar devices to extinguish the fire in the woodstove . . . not sure how well they work though.

If things are really bad (and when we are called they often are) we end up going to the roof and breaking through the creosote when a weighted chain and then sweeping it with a brush.

I think the best 'tool' to have is a calm demeanor so you remember the proper advice above. Think about all the stories you hear where people panic during a fire and forget pets/children/etc. because they couldn't stop and think clearly for at least a second.

This thread is a keeper, especially with the real life advice
from the firefighter. Thanks!

firefighterjake said:
An even simpler technique frequently practiced by us rural firefighters is to open the clean-out and if there is a bed of hot ashes/creosote to flick a bit of water on it (about a tablespoon or three). The water hits the hot ash/creosote and converts to steam. Steam expands and is drawn up the chimney. Honestly, this works in 9 out of 10 times we try it . . . the key is to not dump massive amounts of water into the chimney as steam expands a lot and too much too quickly can result in a ruined chimney. I've never tried the wet newspaper idea, but have heard of folks using that idea as well.

Good info in this thread.

One question about the quote above... couldn't you just throw a little water into the stove itself? It seems to me the effect would be the same and it seems a little safer than screwing around at the base of the chimney/fire.

EDIT: I guess what I was asking about would be similar to dong what Pook suggested...

firefighterjake said it best. Also remember chimney fires can easily extend to any surrounding wood. We had a newer home and the builder put wooden roof bracing in contact with the chimney. When a fire occurred the wood also smoldered and then erupted in flames. Fortunately we caught it in time but the outcome could have been tragic. Smoke and CO alarms are crucial to the safety of our families. Be smart and be safe.

They still have those flare type chimney fire arrestors at WoodmansPartsPlus.com. I saw them just the other day. I usually just throw a stick of dynamite into the firebox and that seems to do the trick. Actually all kidding aside, the fire arrestor sticks do look like small sticks of dynamite...so hence the pun.

firefighterjake said:
Also worth mentioning . . . nearly every chimney fire I have been to has almost always been in a home where the homeowner failed to perform some routine inspection and cleaning of their chimneys. Checking your chimney once or twice a month is a good habit to get into . . . maybe even a bit more if your wood isn't completely seasoned. As a rule we encourage folks to sweep their chimneys if there is a 1/4 inch or more of creosote . . . but honestly, even then it isn't that big a deal to us . . . as I said, most chimney fires we go to are at the point where the chimney is nearly or totally blocked by creosote (on more than one occasion we need to use weighted chains to break through the creosote since it is so bad) -- we're talking folks that are very, very negligent in most cases rather than folks who failed to check their chimney two weeks before.

I am a new wood-burner this coming season and I have been reading up and planning our new system. Thanks for all of the advice but I'm a little confused at this point.

firefighterjake mentioned here and others elsewhere to check your chimney for creosote every few weeks during the heating season. I will be installing a Quadra-Fire 4100 insert and a full SS liner ... Are you suggesting that I climb on my roof (in the winter) or take apart my fireplace insert every few weeks?

From what I have been reading ... I would think that if you are burning reasonably dry wood ... burn some good and hot fires regularly ... and clean the chimney after each season ... then you should be pretty safe. Am I correct?

Good question. I have two ways to check mine also.

1) climb on the roof and look down
2) dissassemble the pipe going to the thimble and look in.

You cant even see the whole flue lineer either way.

So how do you do this.

due to the large amount of new people coming in here now this should be a sticky!!

A good way to see up a chimney or chimney pipe is to use a large hand sized mirror and a flashlight. Unless there are just too many offsets in a pipe, you can generally see most of the way up. This doesn't work very well for an open woodburning masonry fireplace, but does pretty well for stoves and inserts.

I had chimney fire years ago and local fire department had to come, they went down into my basement opened my clean-out and used fire extinguisher, Fire was out in no time.

Unfortunately it destroyed my clay flu.

Don

I am a new wood-burner this coming season and I have been reading up and planning our new system. Thanks for all of the advice but I'm a little confused at this point.

firefighterjake mentioned here and others elsewhere to check your chimney for creosote every few weeks during the heating season. I will be installing a Quadra-Fire 4100 insert and a full SS liner ... Are you suggesting that I climb on my roof (in the winter) or take apart my fireplace insert every few weeks?

From what I have been reading ... I would think that if you are burning reasonably dry wood ... burn some good and hot fires regularly ... and clean the chimney after each season ... then you should be pretty safe. Am I correct?[/quote]

Ah the joys of burning with wood: it's more work, lots more work but we do save$$$.
As a new wood burner with a new stove and wood it would be safer to at least check your chimney every few weeks and see the amount and type of creosote in the chimney. If you are not comfortable on the roof either have a friend check it or pay a sweep. Once you know what is happening in the flue you can make an informed decision on how often to check. Chimney fires have and will continue to burn down homes. Most fire depts. are anticipating a busy season as the economy gets worst and more people convert over to wood. Wood burning is only as safe as the homeowner makes it. There is a learning curve and there are some great tips on this site. Check them out and enjoy a safe experience.

Yeah you might be OK with that stategy but why take the chance? Just remove your chimney cap and look down it with a good flashlight. If you have cornflakes growing on your chimney walls and they seem bigger than 1/4" ...You better clean the sucker.....get a brush and some fiberglass rods to reach down to your stove and the whole process will take 10 minutes

Coming from someone who has had 2 chimney fires in the last 5 years the firefighters advice is dead on. If you hear a roar coming from your pipe/chimney RUN outside and see if you see thick dark smoke coming from the chimney, you will likely see flames too from the creosote. Call 911 ASAP. DO NOT try to open the fireplace, as soon as you can try and close all the air from going in the insert/woodstove. It is a good thing the fire dept is only half a mile from me, but it still took 8 minutes for them to get here. By the time they get here the chimney fire has usually died out, but the important thing is they carry a thermal scanner and can check to make sure you don't have any hot spots left in the chimney. After the 2nd chimney fire I had a professional chimney cleaner come and found out why I was having the fires, then I bought a liner and found this website :) I always have a good size fire extinguisher within 10ft of the insert.

Status
Not open for further replies.