What is the best stove ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Robbie

Minister of Fire
After reading many hundreds of threads, I think I have it narrowed down.

This question is NEVER going to be answered I don't think.

I think this will end up being lots of fun, but it will end up being just like almost everything in life, there is no BEST stove. At least none that I have seen.

I have been enjoying Roospikes threads on burn times and stoves etc.,............ it's funny, I love my stove, and think it's top of the line, but I guess I'm still looking for that "magic" stove, though I really don't think I would buy it now if it were out there.

I used to metal detect a long time ago. I had many good detctors, major brands etc.....I saw an ad in a magazine that said this new model detector would find old coins I had missed with many other detectors..........no matter what...........they were there.........all I had to do was send a credit card number..........I did.

I sent it back in two days. :) I learned a good lesson here.

There are many hundreds of great stoves made by great companies, but which one is best ? :)

Robbie

This like asking, what's the best car? What do you want, best looks, best performance, best comfort, best handling, best resale, and on and on. It all depends on one's tastes and application.

Most of us want it warm and easy to use. But some like steel, some like cast or soapstone. Some like it old, some like it new. Some like it cheap and some want best, cost no object. Some want them shiney and some like em black. There is no best stove, except for the one that fits your needs.

Alright now ........... We have to break this down into:
"best Stove" that works the best for ones home burning wood.
&

"Magic Stove" That not only burn the best for ones home but can do it in only 2 splits of wood all year, washes your car , does laundry , take out the dogs , cleans its self , dumps its own ashes ..... ect .. ect...

;-)

BeGreen said:
This like asking, what's the best car? What do you want, best looks, best performance, best comfort, best handling, best resale, and on and on. It all depends on one's tastes and application.

Most of us want it warm and easy to use. But some like steel, some like cast or soapstone. Some like it old, some like it new. Some like it cheap and some want best, cost no object. Some want them shiney and some like em black. There is no best stove, except for the one that fits your needs.

I agree .

IMO ~ The "Best stove" is the one some one does there research on , looks at all stoves & options and buys with long term investment in mind.

I can tell you the worst stoves Scandias and Deathboxes Volzangs

the best stoves

The ones I sell!!! :cheese:

(Seriously, though, there are a lot of good ones out there and I'll even tell my customers that the brand that so and so down the street carries is a good brand also.)

Edit - realized that posting after Elk comment made it look like I sold "Scandias and Deathboxes Volzangs"

Wait - ELK - you HAVE a Scandia........

It is true - the BEST stove is the one that YOU (or I) bought!

I have a theory called the "$800 turkey" theory. Of course, stoves are much more expensive now, so we have to update it to the $3,000 Turkey. It is somewhat based on the ancient Chinese wisdom of the Emporers New Clothes. I discovered this when customers came into my store and claimed they bought the best stove made - the ancient Consolidated Dutchwests from Taiwan (these could actually compete with Elks choices). Because the stoves were heavily marketed with glossy magazines and other sales tools, the customers overlooked the fact that the stoves were butt ugly, poorly made and didn't work too well. They also overlooked the lack of service, installation and follow-up.

So, dang it, that $10,000 Harman XXZZWWQQ that I am buying (with the jewel encrusted top plate) WILL SAVE ME $5000 on my heating bill this year - and I WILL BURN ONLY 2 TONS OF PELLETS to replace 2,000 gallons of oil.

No doubt we humans, myself included, are prone to exaggeration. Probably started with "Ugga Bugga - I killed a Mastadon with tusks as long as your hut!"......or actually before then. I'll have to watch those old flicks about the discovery of fire again.....Quest for Fire?

It makes a fitting footnote that the same Brand (CDW) was responsible for the demise of the original Vermont Castings.

If I had to choose a "Model T" stove, it would be the Avalon mid-size with the 45 degree angle top. This has went by various names over the years, but I think started out as the 900 series or 945.

I sold this stove starting in 1986, and the model today is quite similar. That is staying power! At the time Avalon was it's own company, not owned by Travis.

The guy that developed this is a total genius - one of these dudes who is WAY too smart. At the time, many companies were having a tough time meeting EPA standards. John (the engineer and designer) made it easy. In fact, at the time Sears asked him to design a smaller stove for their catalog. This was the smaller Avalon (700 series), which he designed OVER ONE WEEKEND.

As with many geniuses, John never made the big bucks because he is too wrapped up in perfection and improvement. But he has also designed MANY of the stoves for other BIG manufacturers....but they aren't talking, and neither is he since that is part of the contract.

Anyway, the C shaped convection chamber and the radiant top combine to throw heat forward.....great design.

Anybody that doesnt have a Morso 3610 is a GD fool

Fools the lot of you

Saving local jobs buying a VC? What kind of clothes are you wearing? Car/truck are you driving? Chainsaw? Powertools? The list goes on and on and on and on .......................

That business with Consolidated Dutchwest still fascinates me. I don't think anybody can imagine how good they made that Federal Airtight look with the hype without having been around back then. As I have said before, after months of research I was within days of lugging a trailer all the way from Virginia to Plymouth, in 1985, because that was as close as one was available.

And the hype was so good that until I came across hearth.com I had wondered for 20 years if I screwed up by not going up there and getting one. Even though I had a stove that was doing everything I ever wished for I had to keep wondering "Would that CDW be doing it better." Just to find out that the CDW would have probably fallen apart on my hearth. With a fire in it.

The availability of so many different fine stoves and access to information from real world owners/users of them hopefully will keep wool pulling on that order of magnitude from ever happening again. In fact if you look at the various comments on this site you consistently see that the best stove is pretty much what will fit your hearth setup and what looks best to you.

Bro Bart is an honest man....

CDW won awards in the ad industry for their catalog and materials. In other words, they were great at selling things that sucked and making people think otherwise. Some of the reason for Hearth.com is to attempt to dispel myths - like nuclear pellets, stoves that burn 24 hours on 2 logs, and the notion of "free" heat - even from firewood!

Webmaster said:
Some of the reason for Hearth.com is to attempt to dispel myths - like nuclear pellets, stoves that burn 24 hours on 2 logs, and the notion of "free" heat - even from firewood!

Leave my nuclear pellets out of this, I still expect to get another 12 years service out of these things. I do look forward to the day that I can get rid of the lead underwear though. :lol:

Oh and I do have to give the Quadrafire Isle Royal my vote...... If it can hold back nuclear pellets, its gotta be good.

Webmaster said:
Some of the reason for Hearth.com is to attempt to dispel myths - like nuclear pellets, stoves that burn 24 hours on 2 logs, and the notion of "free" heat - even from firewood!

So ........... I guess the word is out and the Pacific Energy is busted . :red:

I guess i will just have to live with the fact of only 22 hour burn times. ;-)

Roospike said:
So ........... I guess the word is out and the Pacific Energy is busted . :red:

I guess i will just have to live with the fact of only 22 hour burn times. ;-)

Just get a bigger candle!

So many stoves, so little time. Wish I could burn them all. After burning 7 different stoves over the years, pre EPA and EPA approved, my current stove (Fireview) is the best by far I've had. Only thing I don't like about it is the door handle. Wish it was the spring loaded type.

Just now saw the 2005 post by babalu87 where he said this:

"Anybody that doesn't have a Morso 3610 is a GD fool

Fools the lot of you

Saving local jobs buying a VC? What kind of clothes are you wearing? Car/truck are you driving? Chainsaw? Power tools? The list goes on and on and on and on ....................... "

Comment: You miss the point: while it seems we are all guilty of buying those foreign made clothes, chainsaws, power tools, etc, at least the VC owner CAN say that his/her stove IS made by an American company........you CAN'T.... so why chastise the VC owner when they DO make a major purchase from an American company while you sit there with your "made in Denmark" Morso stove?

Roospike said:
Well hummm ,

My stove "Anti-SPAM: Stove brand X" was American sold and American delivered.........
Does that count ? :lol:
I've tried to burn only American grown cord wood, but I think a canadian split snuk it's way into my pile last night... drat it.

Roospike......most foerign made products ARE sold in America by an American company and delivered by Americans......no other way to get them unless you get them mail order from the country of origin....BUT...the Moros is a product of Denmark....then this same "I own a stove made in Denmark" guy chastises someone for making at least one major purchase from an American company, Vermont Castings.......not only that, the VC's are made in a foundry here in the USA, made by Americans, sold by Americans and delivered by Americans! A far cry from owning a Morso which is a Danish product.......

castiron said:
Roospike......most foerign made products ARE sold in America by an American company and delivered by Americans......no other way to get them unless you get them mail order from the country of origin....BUT...the Moros is a product of Denmark....then this same "I own a stove made in Denmark" guy chastises someone for making at least one major purchase from an American company, Vermont Castings.......not only that, the VC's are made in a foundry here in the USA, made by Americans, sold by Americans and delivered by Americans! A far cry from owning a Morso which is a Danish product.......
;-)

Roospike said:
castiron said:
;-)

My old Brand Y stove was made by a guy named Fred using recycled steel from old Fords and Chevys in a plant in Virginia. Sold to me by a guy named Jim and delivered by Steve and Mike driving a Dodge pickup truck.

The company is gone. Fred and Jim are dead and it would take fifty Fords these days to get enough steel to build one stove. I think Steve and Mike wrecked the Dodge on the way back to the shop and got fired.

But the stove shop is still there. Selling Harmans and Hearthstones. I stop by there every once in a while, driving one of my Chevy trucks or the Plymouth.

Status
Not open for further replies.