1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

What is the best stove ?

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by Robbie, Oct 19, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Roospike

Roospike New Member

Loc:
    Eastern Nebraska
    LOL .......... Always the crowd pleaser , DonCT ? O' HE(( Its our ole' friend brotherbart flying his new flag , I'm used to dieing with laughter and seeing an orange chainsaw .

Boy i need a minute to regroup now .

*********** :lol: ************

Ha ...... nail on the head with that one.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. senorFrog

senorFrog New Member

Since draft issues seem to be the biggest headache for most people, which brand and/or model is most forgiving in terms of draft. From various posts it seems the Jotul Castine is not so forgiving. How about a Jotul Oslo?
  3. Todd

Todd Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Lake Wissota
    Last I heard VC was owned by a Canadian company "Majestic".
  4. NWfuel

NWfuel Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Mukilteo,Washington
    I owned a Scandia coal stove about 25 years ago. It was the Best stove, shaker grate and ash drawer.
    Thomas
  5. suematteva

suematteva New Member

Loc:
    Rutland, VT//Southern Quebec
    The company that owned vc (cfm, i think) was a publicly traded company on the toronto stock exchange. To protect their investment and improve the business. A Significant stock holder, The ontario teachers pension plan, took the company private..Brought in new senior management and so far what they are doing appears to be on the right track.
  6. babalu87

babalu87 New Member

Loc:
    middleborough, ma.
    Because, my Truck was made in the USA
    I try to buy USA clothes (harder all the time)
    My guns are
    AND
    I work in an American textile mill

Please, dont take it so literally........... RELAX
  7. wg_bent

wg_bent Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Poughkeepsie, NY
    Well, back to the best stove...

When I was trying to decide on a stove around this time last year my decision came down to:

Lopi Answer
    Lopi Revere (top choice actually)
    Osburn 1800i
    Napoleon 1100 insert
    Quadrafire (lowest insert in line...can't remember model)
    Hearthstone (Morgan)
    Hearthstone (Homestead hearth mount)
    Pacific Energy Vista Insert

In retrospect I do at least wish I had looked at the Hearthstones to get a perspective.

In the end I'm totally satisfied with the Osburn, so no regrets.

The point I'm on... I'll bet that I'd be happy with any of the above stoves.... meaning...there's a lot of good ones out there, so buy the one that's available, you like the looks of, and fits your life and install.

(I still want another stove for my basement!!!!!)
  8. jjbaer

jjbaer New Member

Loc:
    OH
    I stand corrected! You're correct about Ontario headquarters and owned by Canadian firm. I guess it's now like a Toyota: made in America, by Americans and sold by Americans....but not "owned" by Americans. Thanks for the correction!
  9. tradergordo

tradergordo Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Phoenixville, PA
    Its a trick question because "The Best Stove" hasn't been invented yet (and never will be). Every year technology improves, this is true in most industries. Every year or so there will be new records for efficiency, emissions, burn time, convenience, etc. We'll probably see woodstoves with hoppers like the pellet stoves, or stoves with electronic controls to maximize efficiency or minimize emissions or maximize draft, etc.
  10. fbelec

fbelec Minister of Fire

Loc:
    northern massachusetts
    that's right, so the thread should have be named

what's the best stove of 2006
  11. fbelec

fbelec Minister of Fire

Loc:
    northern massachusetts
    maybe we should have a vote on that
  12. webbie

webbie Seasoned Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Western Mass.
    Here is a poor pic of the insert model.

It is virtually identical to the mid size avalon, but the convection chamber was C -shaped (side profile), and more of the radiant surface of the stove was exposed. This moved air MUCH better than the current mostly enclosed models....and I mean it moved air without a blower.

It was only discontinued in relatively recent years, although the name had changed.

Attached Files:

13. BrotherBart

BrotherBart Hearth.com LLC Mid-Atlantic Division Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    Yep. Twenty years from now people will be posting on hearth.com about how they can't believe somebody is still trying to heat with that old antiquated wood stove made out of metal instead of the composite plasma stoves.
  14. elkimmeg

elkimmeg Guest

It is still an American company. Last time I checked Canada was part of America. All cast iron castings and essembly is still done in USA in Bethel VT
  15. elkimmeg

elkimmeg Guest

I vote the Corie special the best stove made
    Not one poster has never registered a complaint about the Corie special, No dealer complaints, no public relations issues, no one has complained about quality control
    Therefore, this must be the best stove made
  16. webbie

Loc:
    Western Mass.
    I was thinking the same thing - plastic stoves! Pop those babies out of a mold or an extruder, great economy of scale. Especially pellet and biomass models which don't get as hot.

There has recently been a competition among aerospace companies for the material to use for re-entry of next generation spacecraft - and the winner is......Rayon!

Yes, burnt Rayon. Other plastics are in the running.
  17. webbie

Loc:
    Western Mass.
    Getting tricky, Elk!

Then I guess there is no need for that fence with mexico and those jet made in Brazil are also American?

Let's be clear - the company that sells Vermont Castings stoves is not a domestic corporation. Personally that does not matter in the slightest to me, as Canada pays decent wages and takes care of their workers with health care, etc. - they also have decent environmental laws.
  18. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    I see in the crystal ball a tiny room furnace on top of the tv. It's actually a microwave emitter, warms everyone from the inside out and kills flying insects all at once.
    (side benefit discovered that it's also the solution to population control. :bug: :lol: )
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.