What is the best stove ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
BrotherBart said:
Roospike said:
castiron said:
Roospike......most foerign made products ARE sold in America by an American company and delivered by Americans......no other way to get them unless you get them mail order from the country of origin....BUT...the Moros is a product of Denmark....then this same "I own a stove made in Denmark" guy chastises someone for making at least one major purchase from an American company, Vermont Castings.......not only that, the VC's are made in a foundry here in the USA, made by Americans, sold by Americans and delivered by Americans! A far cry from owning a Morso which is a Danish product.......
;-)

My old Brand Y stove was made by a guy named Fred using recycled steel from old Fords and Chevys in a plant in Virginia. Sold to me by a guy named Jim and delivered by Steve and Mike driving a Dodge pickup truck.

The company is gone. Fred and Jim are dead and it would take fifty Fords these days to get enough steel to build one stove. I think Steve and Mike wrecked the Dodge on the way back to the shop and got fired.

But the stove shop is still there. Selling Harmans and Hearthstones. I stop by there every once in a while, driving one of my Chevy trucks or the Plymouth.
LOL .......... Always the crowd pleaser , DonCT ? O' HE(( Its our ole' friend brotherbart flying his new flag , I'm used to dieing with laughter and seeing an orange chainsaw .

Boy i need a minute to regroup now .

*********** :lol: ************

it would take fifty Fords these days to get enough steel to build one stove.
Ha ...... nail on the head with that one.

Since draft issues seem to be the biggest headache for most people, which brand and/or model is most forgiving in terms of draft. From various posts it seems the Jotul Castine is not so forgiving. How about a Jotul Oslo?

castiron said:
Just now saw the 2005 post by babalu87 where he said this:

"Anybody that doesn't have a Morso 3610 is a GD fool

Fools the lot of you

Saving local jobs buying a VC? What kind of clothes are you wearing? Car/truck are you driving? Chainsaw? Power tools? The list goes on and on and on and on ....................... "

Comment: You miss the point: while it seems we are all guilty of buying those foreign made clothes, chainsaws, power tools, etc, at least the VC owner CAN say that his/her stove IS made by an American company........you CAN'T.... so why chastise the VC owner when they DO make a major purchase from an American company while you sit there with your "made in Denmark" Morso stove?

Last I heard VC was owned by a Canadian company "Majestic".

The company that owned vc (cfm, i think) was a publicly traded company on the toronto stock exchange. To protect their investment and improve the business. A Significant stock holder, The ontario teachers pension plan, took the company private..Brought in new senior management and so far what they are doing appears to be on the right track.

castiron said:
Just now saw the 2005 post by babalu87 where he said this:

"Anybody that doesn't have a Morso 3610 is a GD fool

Fools the lot of you

Saving local jobs buying a VC? What kind of clothes are you wearing? Car/truck are you driving? Chainsaw? Power tools? The list goes on and on and on and on ....................... "

Comment: You miss the point: while it seems we are all guilty of buying those foreign made clothes, chainsaws, power tools, etc, at least the VC owner CAN say that his/her stove IS made by an American company........you CAN'T.... so why chastise the VC owner when they DO make a major purchase from an American company while you sit there with your "made in Denmark" Morso stove?

Because, my Truck was made in the USA
I try to buy USA clothes (harder all the time)
My guns are
AND
I work in an American textile mill

Please, dont take it so literally........... RELAX

Well, back to the best stove...

When I was trying to decide on a stove around this time last year my decision came down to:

Lopi Answer
Lopi Revere (top choice actually)
Osburn 1800i
Napoleon 1100 insert
Quadrafire (lowest insert in line...can't remember model)
Hearthstone (Morgan)
Hearthstone (Homestead hearth mount)
Pacific Energy Vista Insert

In retrospect I do at least wish I had looked at the Hearthstones to get a perspective.

In the end I'm totally satisfied with the Osburn, so no regrets.

The point I'm on... I'll bet that I'd be happy with any of the above stoves.... meaning...there's a lot of good ones out there, so buy the one that's available, you like the looks of, and fits your life and install.

(I still want another stove for my basement!!!!!)

I stand corrected! You're correct about Ontario headquarters and owned by Canadian firm. I guess it's now like a Toyota: made in America, by Americans and sold by Americans....but not "owned" by Americans. Thanks for the correction!

Its a trick question because "The Best Stove" hasn't been invented yet (and never will be). Every year technology improves, this is true in most industries. Every year or so there will be new records for efficiency, emissions, burn time, convenience, etc. We'll probably see woodstoves with hoppers like the pellet stoves, or stoves with electronic controls to maximize efficiency or minimize emissions or maximize draft, etc.

tradergordo said:
Its a trick question because "The Best Stove" hasn't been invented yet (and never will be). Every year technology improves, this is true in most industries. Every year or so there will be new records for efficiency, emissions, burn time, convenience, etc. We'll probably see woodstoves with hoppers like the pellet stoves, or stoves with electronic controls to maximize efficiency or minimize emissions or maximize draft, etc.

that's right, so the thread should have be named

what's the best stove of 2006

Here is a poor pic of the insert model.

It is virtually identical to the mid size avalon, but the convection chamber was C -shaped (side profile), and more of the radiant surface of the stove was exposed. This moved air MUCH better than the current mostly enclosed models....and I mean it moved air without a blower.

It was only discontinued in relatively recent years, although the name had changed.

Attachments

• av945.gif
    av945.gif
    39.6 KB · Views: 333
Yep. Twenty years from now people will be posting on hearth.com about how they can't believe somebody is still trying to heat with that old antiquated wood stove made out of metal instead of the composite plasma stoves.

castiron said:
I stand corrected! You're correct about Ontario headquarters and owned by Canadian firm. I guess it's now like a Toyota: made in America, by Americans and sold by Americans....but not "owned" by Americans. Thanks for the correction!

It is still an American company. Last time I checked Canada was part of America. All cast iron castings and essembly is still done in USA in Bethel VT

I vote the Corie special the best stove made
Not one poster has never registered a complaint about the Corie special, No dealer complaints, no public relations issues, no one has complained about quality control
Therefore, this must be the best stove made

BrotherBart said:
Yep. Twenty years from now people will be posting on hearth.com about how they can't believe somebody is still trying to heat with that old antiquated wood stove made out of metal instead of the composite plasma stoves.

I was thinking the same thing - plastic stoves! Pop those babies out of a mold or an extruder, great economy of scale. Especially pellet and biomass models which don't get as hot.

There has recently been a competition among aerospace companies for the material to use for re-entry of next generation spacecraft - and the winner is......Rayon!

Yes, burnt Rayon. Other plastics are in the running.

elkimmeg said:
It is still an American company. Last time I checked Canada was part of America. All cast iron castings and essembly is still done in USA in Bethel VT

Getting tricky, Elk!

Then I guess there is no need for that fence with mexico and those jet made in Brazil are also American?

Let's be clear - the company that sells Vermont Castings stoves is not a domestic corporation. Personally that does not matter in the slightest to me, as Canada pays decent wages and takes care of their workers with health care, etc. - they also have decent environmental laws.

Webmaster said:
BrotherBart said:

I was thinking the same thing - plastic stoves! Pop those babies out of a mold or an extruder, great economy of scale. Especially pellet and biomass models which don't get as hot.

There has recently been a competition among aerospace companies for the material to use for re-entry of next generation spacecraft - and the winner is......Rayon!

Yes, burnt Rayon. Other plastics are in the running.

I see in the crystal ball a tiny room furnace on top of the tv. It's actually a microwave emitter, warms everyone from the inside out and kills flying insects all at once.
(side benefit discovered that it's also the solution to population control. :bug: :lol: )

Status
Not open for further replies.