What is the better chainsaw brand?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Which brand chainsaw be more better?

• Stihl

Votes: 38 63.3%
  • Husky (includes Poulan & J-red)

Votes: 15 25.0%
  • Dolmar/Makita-Dolkita

Votes: 6 10.0%
  • Other: Echo, Tanaka, old MAC/Olympyk, RedMax, Homelite, etc.

Votes: 1 1.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
"Which brand chainsaw be more better?" Well I will go with the one thats has a good chain full thank of fuel and oil and warm it up please!

I never understood this 'balance' concept with chainsaws. People say that saws with short bars balance better. I do not get that. When I fall trees, I do a face cut and back cut, and lever when cutting with the dogs. Sometimes I do a face cut and bore cut the back, leaving straps. But similar to bucking, the bar is in the wood. There is really nothing there to balance. The flywheel keeps them in a plane so they do not tip from side to side very easy and naturally rotate along the bar plane. Long bars make the saws front heavy when lugging them around, but in the wood? It matters not. I tend to cut with the starter side up, but my 044 and one 361 have 3/4 wraps so I can go either way in bigger stuff, and cut from both sides.

When I think of balance I think of how easy a saw is to maneuver and use for various tasks. I find the Husky 372 to be a bit easier to use for multiple tasks than my MS440. Unless the tree I'm cutting has a lot of limbs I don't usually switch saws before bucking the log into rounds.

I was at Madsen's in Centralia last weekend and they didn't have any on the shelf

Madsen's, now that is one serious place for chainsaw and logging supply stuff. Great place, and I stop there whenever I go north to Tacoma or Seattle to buy wedges, logging tape, parts, chaps, etc.

Reactions: Bigg_Redd
OK, Please reply with why you prefer one brand over another, not just "Stihl sux" or "Husky swallows!"

For me the preference is the quality of service which I will get from the selling Dealer. I have a Husky/Stihl dealer 5 minutes from the house but make my purchases from a dealer 30 minutes away that has a good reputation for good after sales service.
Over the years I have had 2 Stihls and 2 Huskys and have been happy with all.

They have a Super-motard that has been quite popular here in the States for the last few years. Only streetable Husky I've ever seen here.

I had one for about a year and a half. Best handling motorcycle I've ever owned. Seat provided the comfort of a 2X4 covered with a towel.

Madsen's is a dangerous place for me. I usually leave my wallet in the car.

I hear hah, but I see them as a great place to SAVE MONEY, compared to spending money on shipping on stuff from Ebay or B*s in CA. Also with an Oregon license, I do not pay sales tax there. ;) That worked for buying a new car in Tacoma for my niece too. Did not have to pay the *cough* 10% sales tax.

Go Seahawks!

Reactions: Bigg_Redd
When I think of balance I think of how easy a saw is to maneuver and use for various tasks. I find the Husky 372 to be a bit easier to use for multiple tasks than my MS440. Unless the tree I'm cutting has a lot of limbs I don't usually switch saws before bucking the log into rounds.

Yes,someone gets it, and that is likely because youve had both in your hands and been able to run them side by side for more than one cut. That is how I feel as well. untilI got my 550xp, i use my old skool hot rodded 372xp as my main saw...little stuff, bug stuff, medium stuff, etc.. If you watch this video you'll see where the ergonomics (handling, comfort) come into play. they are both great saws. To the stihl heads that haven't ran a 372, the 440 is the best thing since sliced bread. To husky guys, they want a new 440.... the ultimate saw would be a 440 with a modified 460 topend. The one of those I built was a freakin' animal.. wish i would have never sold it..

anyways as far as the handling aspect, the 372 definately takes the cake with its light vibrations... watch this video under the the limbing section. pay attention to seconds 14-19 of the video as he is flopping the saw back and forth. this is where husky ergonomics are awesome and stihls mostly feel like vibrating bricks...

Reactions: DexterDay
Well, when I was young and poor, I cut a heck of lot wood to keep me warm with my cheap little poulan with a 12 in bar. Wasn't what I wanted but all I could afford. I finally got a big saw, a McCullough, bought it for $25 bucks. It kept me warm too. I have had a lot of saws since, as my means increased. Now.....well, Stihl, because I have a local dealer that takes care of me. He has Huskies now too, so I have a choice. May try one someday.

Status
Not open for further replies.