What is the biggest woodpile you have seen in a yard??? See pic.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Swedishchef

Minister of Fire
Jan 17, 2010
Inuvik, Northwest Territories
Hey guys

First of all, this is not my yard. This wood seller lives 150 miles from me. My first winter burning, I bought from him (10 face cords, AKA 3.3 cords) at $300/cord. Expensive but it was seasoned maple and yellow birch PLUS he drove 300 miles total with it! Locals sell that wood (green) for $250.

He sells about 2000 cords per year. And he always has about 4000 cords on hand minimum. He hires 3 guys yearly who do all the work.

The guy in question works for a forestry management group. Therefore, he has all the inside connections to cheap wood in 53 foot semi trailers. He has a machine that will cut and split an 8 foot log, throws it onto a conveyer belt into a truck and the crew will then stack it.

This picture is HALF of his yard. I didn't want to sit on the side of the highway taking pictures like a creep so I didn't take more than 1. LOL

Any of you know any big wood sellers like this guy?

Andrew

Attachments

• IMG_0992 (Large).jpg
    IMG_0992 (Large).jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 879
Swedishchef said:
Hey guys

First of all, this is not my yard. This wood seller lives 150 miles from me. My first winter burning, I bought from him (10 face cords, AKA 3.3 cords) at $300/cord. Expensive but it was seasoned maple and yellow birch PLUS he drove 300 miles total with it! Locals sell that wood (green) for $250.

He sells about 2000 cords per year. And he always has about 4000 cords on hand minimum. He hires 3 guys yearly who do all the work.

The guy in question works for a forestry management group. Therefore, he has all the inside connections to cheap wood in 53 foot semi trailers. He has a machine that will cut and split an 8 foot log, throws it onto a conveyer belt into a truck and the crew will then stack it.

This picture is HALF of his yard. I didn't want to sit on the side of the highway taking pictures like a creep so I didn't take more than 1. LOL

Any of you know any big wood sellers like this guy?

Andrew

That is the biggest I've seen, I don't think anyone around here has that much wood.

zap

Zap,

It is certainly the largest I have seen. He sells different types of wood. Maple, yellow birch, tamarack, spruce, you name it, he sells it. He has a very nice setup to deliver: a great big hydraulic trailer that can carry 12 face cords (4 cords) and it dumps it on your lot. He also has larger semi trailers for delivering to cottage rentals, etc.

Quite impressive..enough wood for 10 lifetimes.

Andrew

Must admit, that leaves my own supply looking quite small and inadequate ;-)

That's more than I ever had on hand. Maybe Solar can top it though.

Swedishchef said:
And he always has about 4000 cords on hand minimum.

That's about $1M worth of inventory.

The only places around here with that much wood on hand are sawmills. I can think of 3 easily, no wait, 4 within about 40 minutes of me. I've been to a couple of them. Just remembered a 5th (no, not booze).
Most firewood dealers around here have about 40 cords on hand, max., although the last guy I got c/s/d from (less than a mile from me) has quite a bit in various stages on his property.
Not as much as in that pic though.
Dennis probably knows the ones I'm referring to.

That is a very poor picture I took of his yard. I am going back that way tomorrow and will try to take another. Behind those alders on the right side of the picture are 9 rows as long as the ones on the left. In total, he has about 20 rows or so that are that long. Incredible amount of wood.

ANd yes, that is about 1 000 000 dollars in inventory. It's very incredible. needless to say he has every toy I could dream of. And he is a very nice/down to earth man. One time I went there and his wife/girlfriend was making apples pies and he insisted I stay and have a piece!

I will try to get more pics tomorrow.

A

WOW, that's impressive. Around here, a 300 mile round trip for 3.3 cord is unheard of. I cannot get less than 12 cord delivered and that is logs, not splits.

There is a local firewood monger that will deliver Ash or Birch logs by the truckload. He recently started processing Birch splits but AFAIK, the splits are cash-and-carry, $100 for a pickup bed level load.

Here's a pic of a pile of Pine that he was trying to sell one year. I don't think he sold much as firewood and it probably ended up in the pulp mill.
DSCF0001.JPG

PapaDave said:
The only places around here with that much wood on hand are sawmills. I can think of 3 easily, no wait, 4 within about 40 minutes of me. I've been to a couple of them. Just remembered a 5th (no, not booze).
Most firewood dealers around here have about 40 cords on hand, max., although the last guy I got c/s/d from (less than a mile from me) has quite a bit in various stages on his property.
Not as much as in that pic though.
Dennis probably knows the ones I'm referring to.

Ya Dave and then if you head to the UP there are several yards where they store logs before taking to Escanaba (usually via railroad). These are some humgous yards too. If I ever get back there I'll take some pictures.

Adios Pantalones said:
Truly impressive, but one good lightning strike...

Interesting that I have never heard of lightning striking or causing fire on wood piles.

Status
Not open for further replies.