What is the black goop?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fubar411

Dec 14, 2006
Had a chimney installer put in my insert this spring. I had to take it out to put down some slate on the hearth. But there was this black goop that he used to connect the SS liner to the insert, then sheet metal screws, then insulated tape.

I called him and he said it is "MIL PACK" and I could get it at this store. THe store said they have something similiar, but it is red goop, but they use it for the same application.

Since this place is so far away from me, can I get it at HD/Lowes? What is the minimum specs for the stuff I need?

Thanks,
Rob

I've heard of it, but I'm not sure if you can get it at Lowes or Home Depot, I'd call them and see. As far as the red goop - that sounds like high temp silicone sealant like RTV 600. So I guess we talking gas insert? If not then I wouldn't use the red goop if it's a silicone based product.

The black is probably stove cement and with good fitting connections its not really needed.

Insulated tape? Any sort of tape or adhesive like that I doubt can stand the heat of a wood SS liner.... I would take that crap off. Unless it is the Hi-Temp insulation used to insulate wood liners.

Status
Not open for further replies.